Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insurgents Hack U.S. Drones

You can take off the tin foil hat, Linen0ise. The nice thing about the web is you can do your own defense analysis these days. It doesn't hurt if you used to work in an ITAR facility.

1) to date, the US has not exported UAV's to anyone. "MTCR" issues. So far, only Australia and Italy are cleared for unarmed units:

http://www.forexyard.com/en/reuters_...ROSPACE-DRONES

2) Iran builds their own drones. Undoubtedly pieces of chit compared to US machines:

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Iran...Fleet_999.html

3) Israel does export them (no comment):

http://defense-update.com/products/h/harop.html

It does raise the question as to what kind of physical proximity one needs to intercept satellite data. It sounds like satellites pretty much spray an area. How big an area, and does data up and data down coverage vary?

You got to hand it to those crazy Iraqi Shias. Those boys ain't stupid. Hezbollah (also Iranian-funded Shias) handed IDF their arses in southern Lebanon in '05 by studying up on Merkavas (Israeli MBT's) to find a weak spot. Did it using the web from what I've heard (BBC documentary).

HTH, BC
    Last edited by brokencrow; December 18th, 2009 at 11:27 AM.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Maybe you or someone else can answer this question. I have plenty of DVB software to play with. I currently using DVB-T. Can those cards pick up other signals other than digital over-the-air tv?

If I installed a DVB-S2 card into the computer, would it be possible to use a dish inside a home or building rather than drilling holes for placement on the roof?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-S2

South Korea's military said Friday it was investigating a hacking attack that netted secret defense plans with the United States and may have been carried out by North Korea.
    first hacked climate emails, predators, 911 leaks, and now this. Too much is happening. I'm glad for the disclosure but it sounds like somebody or some organization is really pissed off.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091218/...as_cyberattack

Hackers briefly blocked access to the popular Internet messaging service Twitter, steering traffic to another Web site where a group reportedly calling itself the "Iranian Cyber Army" claimed responsibility.
    Military is not alone with lax security it seems.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091218/...twitter_hacked
    Last edited by t34b4g5; December 19th, 2009 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linen0ise View Post
    If I installed a DVB-S2 card into the computer, would it be possible to use a dish inside a home or building rather than drilling holes for placement on the roof?
    Can't help you, Linen0ise. Personally, I do not own a TV. I can troubleshoot
    PC's in my sleep, but I'm lost when it comes to working a remote. The power
    of forgetting.

Computer security? What a great concept...
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

1. military knew about this flaw for years. Notice it's not a big thing when told to the fake media.
    Sort of reminds me of back in the day when I was using Netmeeting.......... you could encrypt text and files but not video links?

Guess there is still a problem there?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Sort of reminds me of back in the day when I was using Netmeeting.......... you could encrypt text and files but not video links?

Guess there is still a problem there?
    Got a better one. I liked how while in the military in a recreational facility, you had to pay to use the computers by the minute. It was for web usage only. The computers were locked down but I managed to telnet my azz all around the world even use notepad to dumb stuff to the commandline in less than a minute. If I wanted to, i could of connected to a open mail relay and called Bush an azzhole. Everytime you slipped a money amount, you had the option to use a previously recorded user ID or create a new one. You can't trace money. In a dark arcade with a bar and loud music with people getting wasted on Yeager bombs\7 up, who actually cared on personal time. People around looking like...WTF. I was IT in that piece... anyone that snitched made me look good.
    Last edited by Linen0ise; December 20th, 2009 at 11:13 AM.

I liked how while in the military in a recreational facility
    I think I can understand that...............because it was a "recreational facility" it didn't seem to count?

I have certainly seen the same in the private sector............nobody took responsibility for the kit in training rooms, conference rooms and libraries. Yet they were frequently connected to the network or could be?

Back then I believe the problem was that each department or functional unit was responsible for its own IT budget and the IT Department mainly provided advice and support. These shared facilities could easily get missed as nobody actually had a budget for them.

Thankfully we have moved on a lot since then...................

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Thankfully we have moved on a lot since then...................
    *checkmate* again! GAME OVER?

Somethings in life when you take it too far there is no way back. I'm talking about cellphone hacking is back but with a _killer hack_. Cracking encryption all your popular cellphone companys and chip suppliers use. I'm sure you can't turn everyone cell device in the world now. Guess what...it is posted all over the internet. How many military and contracters using their chit on military bases Hackers are getting this stuff from being fired and going through patent databases.

A German security expert has raised the ire of the cell phone industry after he and a group of researchers posted online a how-to guide for cracking the encryption that keeps the calls of billions of cell phone users secret.
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/ydo6vdz
    Last edited by Linen0ise; December 31st, 2009 at 04:25 AM.

excuse me.... bump. I created this post in the Newbie section of security. WTF? this chit is tainted. Watch all you want. Happy New Year!
    Last edited by Linen0ise; January 1st, 2010 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linen0ise View Post
    excuse me.... bump. I created this post in the Newbie section of security. WTF? this chit is tainted. Watch all you want. Happy New Year!
    think you may be mistaken, it's been in Cryptography section the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by t34b4g5 View Post
    think you may be mistaken, it's been in Cryptography section the entire time.
    sorry....I really am. The topic "microcrap coffee" was posted in the newbie section. You a good mod.... you noticed that the small things.