Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft says next Windows won't be as annoying

wow windows is just dishin out a whole new os instead of fixing the one out now. funny. they shoulda left vista at the longhorn stage.

Actually, it is the same vista kernel--just improved.

So they are fixing it basically
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

I had heard about this some months ago. Ive had Vista since its release and compared to its predecessors Ive been reasonably impressed. Im curious however how the next version will work out since so many vendors dropped the ball in creating drivers and such for vista.
    If i recall correctly it was some time before companies like Nvidia and HP had fully functional drivers for Vista to support their newer hardware. I think that hindered Vista's launch somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    The coolest part of Vista was taking what Enlightenment can do on a 433MHz Celeron with an 8 MB video card and 192 MBs of RAM running Slackware 10.2 and make it require a 128 MB video card and a gig of RAM and a much faster processor.
    Dont forget about the videocard scam. Linux can run 3D apps far better than vista. It pisses me off when certain apps for windblows supports my brand of videocard but not that specific model. WTF?

The Killer: Try to put High-def digital tv on Vista or XP at full-screen. The machine is slow as a bug. On linux, less than 1/3 of processing power and you can still run critical apps.

Quote Originally Posted by pgniteshade View Post
    I had heard about this some months ago. Ive had Vista since its release and compared to its predecessors Ive been reasonably impressed. Im curious however how the next version will work out since so many vendors dropped the ball in creating drivers and such for vista.
    If i recall correctly it was some time before companies like Nvidia and HP had fully functional drivers for Vista to support their newer hardware. I think that hindered Vista's launch somewhat.
    You will not have to worry about that. As I just said, it is the same kernel--so the device drivers will work still. That wont be a problem this time around--I think MS learned their lesson

@linen0ise

if only more companies ported their awesome games to linux...too bad they are probably being payed off by M$ "wink wink"
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by C:\Saw View Post
    if only more companies ported their awesome games to linux...too bad they are probably being payed off by M$ "wink wink"
    haha i dont doubt your right. and for mac as well. my brother is an avid mac user and always curses the game developers when they dont make a mac version.
    you have to give linux more than a fair bit of credit for surviving regardless of games not being developed to work with them in this day and age of gamers. that by itself speaks highly of it.

Banned
    Ive had Vista since its release and compared to its predecessors Ive been reasonably impressed. Im curious however how the next version will work out since so many vendors dropped the ball in creating drivers and such for vista.
    If i recall correctly it was some time before companies like Nvidia and HP had fully functional drivers for Vista to support their newer hardware. I think that hindered Vista's launch somewhat
    In other words alot of people are giving up on installing the likes of tages and securerom.

Unless you setup a NDIS hook then advertise it as one of these "commercial firewall products"... you're not likely needing to install drivers to begin with.
    Last edited by The-Spec; November 2nd, 2008 at 03:24 AM.

Spec, you've got a point there...lots of programs like Comodo and Avast! will inject those hooks, it probably wont be a big deal though
    --Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by C:\Saw View Post
    Actually, it is the same vista kernel--just improved.

So they are fixing it basically
    Let me get this straight...
    Microsoft is basically fixing Vista and reselling it?

So, they are basically selling a patched version of Vista.

Sounds like the Microsoft way...
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

Yep yep
    --Socrates