Thread: Eblaster help

Eblaster help

So I know someone may have asked this before but...
    My father had installed eblaster to spy on me for a year. Apparently he ‘deleted’ it when I told him to, but I’m still not sure. I checked the e-mail he had the activity reports forwarded to, and they stopped after he said he deleted it, but there is no way I can know for sure that he did and it is driving me crazy.

Is there anyway I can call eblaster and scream at them about it/threaten legal action?
    How do I know if there is still eblaster on my computer?
    I really value my privacy and it is driving me crazy.

Friend of Site Staff
    Save what you would hate to lose and do a clean insstall is probably the easiest way.

Otherwise one of these may help.
    http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...w=1847&bih=916

Hmmmm,

Is there anyway I can call eblaster and scream at them about it/threaten legal action?
    Not really, well certainly not in the EU, as it was your father who installed it, rather than the application vendors. I would hazard a guess that US and Canadian legislation is similar?

I think that Shay is spot on with his recommendation to wipe the machine and do a clean install of the OS. That is pretty much industry standard practice for dealing with malware infections, and to you, that application is certainly malware.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Hmmmm,
    I think that Shay is spot on with his recommendation to wipe the machine and do a clean install of the OS. That is pretty much industry standard practice for dealing with malware infections, and to you, that application is certainly malware.
    oh.I don't no think it suchlike.

The first problem here is that the application in question is actually legitimate software, depending on how you use it. That means that anti-malware applications are unlikely to be of much use.

Secondly the machine has been "owned" (controlled) by another person, so you don't know what else might be on it.

The only 100% guaranteed way of getting rid of any doubts is to wipe the drive and reinstall.

EDIT:

1. In a business environment you just reload a mirror or clone of your standard build.

2. In a repair shop you wipe and reinstall so that the customer cannot claim that you missed something.
    Last edited by nihil; March 9th, 2013 at 03:27 AM.