Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *nix command processor/Win OS

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by metguru View Post
    SirDice, I don't really agree that FreeBSD is a very good way to begin learning to use unix. Debian on the other hand allows you to use it as a desktop distro without knowing very much and installs all the necessary drivers and everything for you, so it 'just works', and you can learn to use the command line of a fully capable system from the get-go instead of learning to use the unix command line while simultaneously learning to configure a BSD distro. Just my opinion though.
    If everything "just works" you don't really learn something do you?

Spin those braincells and feel the victory when you finally manage to get it working. That's unix.

Linux is for people that hate Windows. BSD is for people that love Unix.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDice View Post

Spin those braincells and feel the victory when you finally manage to get it working. That's unix.

While I think you have a good point, I also think that most people that want to learn *nix will get discouraged if they nose dive into BSD and will eventually say "screw this". I know as I was like that 10 some years ago and went to RedHat or Debian or something. Then after spending time learning the basics, i tried BSD again and had better luck.

Breaking them in by giving them something more "friendly" will allow them to learn and understand the basics and if they want to know more, they can. If they are content with just using it for general use, then no harm done =-)
    Last edited by mungyun; September 7th, 2011 at 04:05 PM.
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by SirDice View Post

I understand what you're saying, but it depends on your goal. IcSilk stated that he wanted to learn to use the *nix command line, not learn to configure a *nix OS via the command line. There's no reason to over complicate things if it's not part of his goal. There's nothing wrong with learning to use BSD and configure it via the command line, however that is a more advanced goal that should be tackled after first becoming familiar with the command line.

I decided to go the easiest route possible this time - I installed ubuntu on vbox. Just finished a few minutes ago and have been looking around for ubuntu for complete beginners... haven't found anything exciting yet.

One of my problems is that I have no idea of the OS structure. Its all CLI and I haven't been able to figure out how to see a directory tree or OS setup yet. Don't know if theres a GUI to refer to once in awhile, don't know anything about it really. Haven't even figured out how to access an outside network yet even ie. Internet etc.

I've had my head stuck in Win OS for so long I've rendered myself clueless.

Im going to continue my search but I really don't know yet where to go from here...
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

This is kind of old, but might be helpful.

http://vimeo.com/4413255
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Just Another Geek
    One of the reasons I suggested FreeBSD is because we have a really good handbook. There's also a plethora of other documentation and the man pages are some of the best I've read.

Handbook: Chapter 3 UNIX Basics
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

that vid Westin posted helped alot, it got me going pretty good there.

I was also looking at the manual sirDice posted, theres alot there to though I only just bookmarked it just now.

Its funny Ive always pictured unix as complete CLI but until i got on it I never imagined how lost I'd feel without GUI. I know *nix does use GUI but if virtual Ubuntu does I haven't seen it, lol.

Is there no GUI to refer to with a virtual ubuntu OS? Is that a real dumb question,
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

I am typing this response in a virtual Ubuntu installation. Which version of the distro did you download? There is a server version and a workstation version. The workstation version should have a GUI enabled by default.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

I am typing this response in a virtual Ubuntu installation. Which version of the distro did you download? There is a server version and a workstation version. The workstation version should have a GUI enabled by default.
    Im using the server version. I noticed you said that the workstation vers. will have GUI enabled by default ... that makes me hopeful that I can still enable it on the server version.
    Is that correct? If so do you know how? If the answer to the previous two questions is 'yes' will you tell me how? lol Just messing around.

I'm not too worried about the GUI as I have gone through all this specifically to learn *nix CLI commands, but I would definitely like a GUI to play around with aswell.
    I just started my daily routine and Im going to look around to try to figure it out, buy if you
    know how and its possible I'd sure like to read about it ...

Blessings

F

EDIT: I found I few places real quick that discuss it, but one thing that isn't made clear is whether I can still have the package installs from server ed. ie LAMP and desktop ed. running on the same VM, or will I have to make a whole new VM?
    Last edited by IcSilk; September 9th, 2011 at 04:59 PM.

I don't remember the package names right off hand, but you will need to use apt-get to download/install them. I would search for 'Install GUI ubuntu server [version]". That should provide some helpful results.

It shouldn't be a problem installing the GUI. The other services will continue to run, but you will just be using a bit more overhead running the GUI.

-HST