Thread: Networking Problems

Question Networking Problems

I am currently helping my friend work on his network. We are running win2000Server & the workstations are running Win2000Prof. The problem is, that when we set the printers up on the workstations, or any settings for that matter, when you reboot or log off, all the settings are lost. That means when you get back on under the users name, you have to set everything back up. Including registration for OfficeXP software & Outlook Express. We have a 3Com Network switch, SonicWall Firewall/VPN, and cable modem via charter on both sites. On the first location we have, there are no problems. . . So I cant figure out why this is happening at the other locations. We figured the system might be using Roaming Profiles for each user, so we set up printers in each users personal folder, which didn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Question

Roaming profiles? Are you using domain logins or just plain workgroups? I think a stand-alone box always uses local profiles by default unless you set it otherwise.
    Another question for giggles, are you mapping to the printer or the print$ share?

We are using Domain Logins. We have tried both mapping & print share. It still looses settings when you reboot or log off.

We've had the same problem here at work with profiles on a 2K workstation. He had to set their profiles to local (it was roaming before). We also made them local administrator of their own machine, because with a building full of techies, they all want to install, setup their own machines. Domain permissions didn't allow them to install anything. You can image that would piss off a lot of people. We just wanted to make sure the file servers were ok, they could do what they wanted to their workstation, hehe. Another question, are people logging into the problem machine as an administrator or just a plain user. Might be some weird permission issue where the plain user can't even save their settings.
    If all else fails, disable networking and just see if you can log in and save some type of system setting. Although this might kill your domain login, not sure what type of secure environment you want/are working in whether it will work this way or not.

:eek:

HEY guys!! this post doesn't belong to this section