[quote]posted in mail bag

Debbie
JP,

I hope you can help me. I found your site through a search at "Ask Jeeves", because I'm unsure how to proceed. My husband goes regularly to a chat room. While in there, he managed to offend someone else in the room who told him that he had accessed our computer and given us a virus that would disable our computer in 3 days. I have Zone Alarm and AVG anti virus both installled on our computer, but at the time they had somehow been disabled. I ran AVG and found a worm virus that it caught and healed. I then took screen prints that I had my husband make of this persons threats and attached them to an e-mail to the site owner. On subsequent visits to the chatroom, my husband has been told that he is messing with the wrong people. Since sending the message to the chat owner, I have been sent the virus, "I'm sending this to you to get your advice" 5 times over the course of the last 3 days. I don't know who I can report this to, and hoped that you could help me. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Debbie
JP
Well Debbie, cleaning up messes for your husband, huh? First off, I'd start by telling your husband that if he spent more time cleaning the gutters and mowing the lawn, and less time in IRC chatrooms, he wouldn't have these problems Then, Then, I'd go out and get myself a good client-side firewall, like ZoneAlarm http://www.zonelabs.com/. "I gave you a virus that's going to disable your computer in 3 days" sounds to me like a young teen talking out of his ass. I wouldn't be too worried that they actually got something on your computer. They may be right, your husband might be "messing with the wrong people". Anyone that behaves that childishly and immature is probably not someone that your husband should want to be "hanging around" with anyway. This would be like approaching kids that are spray-painting a street sign, and saying "Hey, wanna talk?". Not a good idea. As for the "I'm sending this to you to get your advice" virus. Everyone is getting this 5 times or more within a 3 day period, heh. The fact that you know that this is a virus, tells me that you've already won the battle against it. Just delete them as they come in, like you would any other piece of spam........ ]

ME
Hey jp
Debbie said that she said she had zoneAlarm
lol
sorry dumb post