Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux is a cancer...

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that if you map a triangle onto a globe, you can get three 90° angles, and other weird things.

But unless explicitly stated, I'm working in pure 2-d mode.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that if you map a triangle onto a globe, you can get three 90° angles, and other weird things.

But unless explicitly stated, I'm working in pure 2-d mode.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

heh

gaussian mathematics = evil

..anyway, back to the original topic.. Linux is a cancer..
    Don't get me wrong. It's all I use. I have a Windows2K AS system that does nothing but browse the web and play MP3s. My point is, Linux is getting to the point where there are so many different distributions that there are starting not to be coherent UNIX standards anymore. With a different distirbution focusing on different aspects, and most straying to the point of making it "simple" by rewriting things that reuire basic UNIX functionality, Linux is going to fall on it's face in a few years.
    Open Source is good, to a point, but come on, when is enough enough? When will people realize the more they change osmething the less likely it is to produce a quality product. We all remember kernel < 2.2.18 with it's module loading vulnerability. I mean give me a break.. Linux needs to be more centralized.
    Jason Parker - http://www.o-negative.net
    o-Negative: Information Network

linux is cancer

Not sure i agree with your point about linux falling flat of its face in a few years jparker, imho linux is going to come into its own within a few years. All these automated features which you seem to dislike so much are there to help the less knowledgable get thier machines up and running and performing the tasks they need thier pc to do with the minimal hassle, certainly these features add bloat and will give a performance hit but it gets the job done. Imagine asking joe public to sit at an AIX or HP-UX machine and perform some rudimentary task such as send a few emails or type up a document - he wouldn't know where to start. Now sit the same person at a mandrake box running a decent window manager and he stands at least half a chance.
    I also remember reading in one of your other posts about speed differences - whats your frame of reference?
    Lastly, if your using w2k to only surf and play mp3's - why? whats wrong with xmms? not to mention the plethora of browsers available for *nix. I use w2k myself, but only for things i can't do in linux (yet), things like cubase and reason.

[QUOTE
    If God was a programmer, he would, and presumably does use, Universe++, which is only compilable onto a system running the SpaceTime Infinity processor, which only runs RealityOS. [/B][/QUOTE]

hmmz...
    Can't find reality.sys.. universe halted... ?
    oew!

Those morons at M$ only want more money, and that is why they are now trying to choke out the next thing that can compete against them! They FEAR Linux, they FEAR them greatly.

That's just it.. My Window's box is useless. XMMS rocks my multimedia needs.

My idea that open source, which was the great levelitator of Linux will ultimately be it's demise is based on the fact that Linux's standards are slowly being lost. I wish I had the link to some changes that have been made in the UNIX community, that have long since been standards, that have recently changed to accomidate the ever-loosely connected Linux dstirbutions.

As for "joe public" Linux isn't a desktop OS. Everyone seems to be forgetting this. Linux's roots, no matter what "desktop functions" it can do, is still a multi-user network operating system. It's not meant for "joe public". It's meant for "joe public's system admin" to run. Someone with knowledge of concepts and ideas on how to manage a multi-user system.

If Joe Public has a sincere interest in running Linux, something other than "cuz w1nbl0wz sux" than by all means, he'll learn to navigate the seemingly complex interface of a UNIX based machine. During this time, there is a trial to see if his will to learn something new is sincere. If it is, he'll succeed, if it's not, then he'll get frustrated and drop it like a hot rock.

Thinks like KDE as a WM, or the entire Mandrake dist are a slap int he face to experienced UNIX users. We fought hard back int he early days of Linux to learn what we know now. The power of this operating system is not it's ease of use, and THAT is what Window's users are trying to take from Linux.

..as I was posting this, another guy posted something that specifically proved my point..

"Those morons at M$ only want more money, and that is why they are now trying to choke out the next thing that can compete against them! They FEAR Linux, they FEAR them greatly."

Linux cannot compete with Windows, nor is it trying to. Flakey UNIX-rookies are the ones creating this hostility between the mainstream corporate OS, and Linux.

UNIX has it's uses, Windows has it's uses (for some people).. Can't we just leave it at that?

Exclamation Linux Rocks!

Okay,

I totally disagree that open-source ruins linux,
    because of it, the same day that a bug is discovered,
    a fix is written. The Linux side of my box is only about
    100000x more stable then my windows side,
    and the windows side of this box if probably the most
    stable windows box ive seen.

One time i wrote a self-spawning program, and had like,
    100000 processes running or somthing crazy like that,
    and my box was fine. You can DOS your box, send the CPU
    to 100%, and still use it fine.

I dare any of you to run 100000 processes on
    a windows box, haha, itd practically explode.

If linux was easier to set up, and easier to use once it was,
    then there would be no windows.

-8trak

Long live linux!!!