Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm the bestest hax0r in tha wurld

I'm the bestest hax0r in tha wurld

Hey,
    I just have one question, why do people feel it necessary to put things in thier posts like "i'm a unix expert" or "i'm the smartest kid on my block"?

What do they think they're achieving?

Pete

Banned
    Eternal fame? Or maybe eternal flame...

Smile

I am the smartest kid on my block.
    of course, there is only one house on my block...

..and i live alone...

...damnit, just when i thought i was starting to belong.

This makes me think of what I wrote about *nix-superiority-complexes in the 'Linux is a Cancer' thread.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Terr said:
    This makes me think of what I wrote about *nix-superiority-complexes in the 'Linux is a Cancer' thread.

I'm sorry terr, but i do not concur, posibly its my fault for not making my post clear enough. My point was that a lot of people were posting making claims to skills which, as far as i could tell, were not apparent. As in, when somebody says "i've been working with computers for 20 years" and then asks a basic networking question - i'm pretty sceptical,who works with computers for any period of time without thinking of linking them together! but hey, maybe thats just me!
    While i'm here, i might as well say i disagree with your other point in the thread "OK *NIX groupies" (not "linux is cancer", sorry!) To say that unix/linux is for "only people with enough extra time on their hands" makes me think you haven't spent a great deal of time using this os. I'd say to you that any time/effort spent using or learning linux would be a lot more useful than any time spent reading HaX00r tutorials or some other crap.
    Look forward to your reply.
    Pete

Well, I did install Caldera OpenLinux 2.2. which came with the SAMS Teach Yourself Linux in 24 hours book, but it is hard to find information about something when the only modem you have handy is a winmodem... So I tinkered, but never really got off the ground, because I couldn't do any online research without rebooting. I mean, I got X and KDE working, customized a lot of the look, and was mounting/unmounting and just fiddling around a lot, but when I started running out of space on my 6 gig drive, I just had to dump it.

I had been running at about 5.6-5.9 gigs of my drive full for a several months, and a month two ago, when I got a 30gig and really felt free..... I'll have to reinstall it sometime... Except my DSL is an intel USB device, dunno about compatibility there... Come to think of it, my scanner and printer are also on USB cables now, and I DID reinstall Openlinux, but I put it on the old drive (no partitioning waits for me!) and forgot to make a bootdisk, which I meant to do some time... :/

I dunno about the REST of you, but *I* wish I had more time on my hands. (Than I do, anyway)
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

heh

too bad I seem to have inadverdently made a claim that I have coding skills. Now my school work is going to suffer so I can write some ****ing stupid program just to protect my ego. The hacker world is bullshit. I have to prove myself EVERYWHERE I go.

Terr:
    You actualy got that Caldera CD to install?
    I bought that book a bit ago thinking it would teach my the basics of Linux but the cd never got past the initial 'probing for devices' part. Any insight into that?

I have since then gone thru Red Hat , BSD, Turbo Linux (dont bother, but please laugh) and have chosen mandrake.
    Though the others are good, Mandrake has 'Tux racer'... and i am fiend for a penguin body surfin on icy slopes

The hacker world is bullsh*t ? Please don't call it the hacker world as they are almost all just script kiddies, or a**holes as I like to call them.
    \"Progress and conduct: I\'m afraid that I am severly dissapointed in God\'s works. All three of him have shown no tendency to improve and He merely sits at the back of the class talking to himselves. He has shown no interest in rugger, asked to be excused prayers, and moves in a mysterious way.\" - Ferndean School Report on God - The brand new Monty Python Book.

hrrrmm....

but this is the world in which hackers exist. I would prefer to go back to the days of ARPnet when sockets were first being designed and implemented, and when the true hackers were building the net and trying to keep out the crackers. today any hacker on the net looks around and sees himself surrounded by script kiddies, lamers, malicious angry crackers, people who know nothing but bullshit well enough to gain a following of lamer kiddies, and very few other hackers. I want to be a hacker, not a cracker....