Thread: I need FTP and Firewall help!

I need FTP and Firewall help!

Here is the deal: I am on a university network that recently blocked all incoming peer to peer connections and I used to host an FTP. Basically, no one can connect to my FTP anymore and that really sucks.

Do any of you know a way around this? Is there any conceivable way to bypass what the guys at networking have done? I realize that there may not be a solution - but if you have any suggestions, please post them. Thanks a lot!

Talk to the networking guys and tell them what you need. If its not too outragious they will probably accomodate you.
    I\'m not a BOT I\'m a beer droid!
    Prepare to be Assimilated.

Computer Forensics
    working at a university myself. Don't expect them to give you an ftp site unless you have a good excuse, not pr0n or warez. they may set up a site on one of their servers for your access but don't expect them to open a hole up for you. Unless they are stupid that is.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Banned
    University network admins stupid.....never. I hear the ones at cornell are perticularly smart.

Just kidding

Hmm... do they allow incoming connections to port 80? You could use a web-frontend to your FTP server... or use something like NetCat to redirect your server traffic so that people connecting in to your computer would have to use a different non-blocked port.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Thanks for the replies so far. They've blocked all incoming connections and I even tried port 80.

Also - the admins are stupid. I am currently talking to them about my 'web page image design ftp' that i need to host for my job. It's really a warez FTP so I hope they don't notice.

I asked one of the guys if I could get broadband in my room and he was like, "No, you can't get DCL in there."

You read correctly - DCL - not DSL but DCL. He even said it like 5 times so I know it was no mistake. That should tell you a little bit about the guys working at the networking department.

Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks again!

SmellKid....I work for my school's Networking department .....................................................by the way, what school do you go to???????????????

Case - sorry, I wasn't trying to say that all tech guys are dumb. I was just pointing out how retarded they are at my school.

I go to Saint Louis University by the way. Where do you work?

Computer Forensics
    why not just set up side storage? you know....where you get 100MB storage free on the web? if that will do of course.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

I was hosting a 40GB FTP......I don't think that 100MB at a time would suffice. Thanks for the suggestion though.