Thread: Microsoft has security?

Microsoft has security?

I thought any security inherent in any of their OSes other than win2k was purely accidental....

They do. I have an ongoing difference of opinions with pwaring about it.

I use the latest Win98 most of the time release mainly because I like my games, and I'm comfortable with knowing what it does and does not do. The lack of features make it a lot less network-intrusion friendly than some other OSes out there. It's sort of like trying to hack a granite rock, compared to hacking really tough swiss cheese. You might get into the swiss cheese, or you might not, depending on it's tunnel-like security, but my rock is pretty dang unresponsive to everything!

As for local security, walls and locks.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

win98 security

yeah, 98 is secure if netbios is off.... 'course if I ever get my hand on microsoft's 98 tcp/ip stack code, 98 is goin to be a wee tiny bit less secure.

tcp stack

I'm pretty sure 98 uses the same tcp stack as 95, and 95 uses the same as dos, and dos uses the same as NT - if you catch my drift.

Win 98, and all Win OSes, are not secure out of box. The thing is that MS want's to make them easy to set up and use, that is why it is started to be popular (How can you spend so much money to buy out or destroy competiton if you don't earn that money in the first place???)

Linux is more secure because of one reason:
    People who install linux must know (and beleive me, they DO know) exactly what to do, what to enable, what to disable. Win 98 can be installed by the 8-year-old kid. you just have to click next next next yes next next damn s/n next next next... you get my point?
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.