Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbies, Please Read This First!!!!!!

Re: The Newbie Speaks

Originally posted by SixNine
    "Most of the regular contributors here concentrate on the practice of PREVENTING hackers from entering your system and doing damage, not hacking into others."

To prevent 'crackers' from getting access to peoples computers, one should study their methods and talk about it with others who have the same interest. I look at it this way: if the are serious enough, they going to find it out anway.

The only way the internet will become secure is when 'Hackers' are producing the cracks first. Instead of waiting for the 'Crackers' to do it then we figure out how to stop it.
    True, as the evolution of exploits and fixes go, exploits are a step ahead, since you can't defend against something that doesn't exist...

What you have to do is make it so people won't want to crack into things. Our society is structed around making punishments, to prevent crimes, however... is there anything besides punishments that we can do? We can't teach intelligence or ethics, so that's probably out. (At any rate, we haven't had much luck.)
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Thats the entire problem! The internet goes beyond the scope of a goverment. The threat of punishment can only reduce domestic attacks. A huge amount of crackers come from anti-american goverments who we do not have the ability to punish.

In short the only way we can secure the internet, at least for americans, is to shift into a offensive mood. In other words we figure out our problems before our enemys do. It would be best for the USA's goverment to support a program to do this. But they will sit on their ass until something major happens :/
    The only other way I can think of is to have a private organization to do this. The security of this would have to be intense with very strong encription and recurits would have to be carefully looked over. You could perhaps get fudning from other private sectors in the security world for your information...

This needs to be done bad, I don't sleep well at night knowing that their could be a "Large Scale" attack supported by a goverment or a terrorist organization who could effectively cripple our telecommunications industry and send our encomy into a depression. Open Source thats being pushed in other countries is definitly going to have drastic effects on what we see out of attackers. They will be more educated which will make their attacks more frequent, effective, and the ability to catch them a whole hell of a lot harder.

BTW - Ya know what this board needs?? A programming Forum

-SixNine
    Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.

Nudge.

Not just for Americans, everyone connected has to be a good member of the connected world. Being a good member means, not leaving your servers unpatched, not running services you don't need, having a virus scanner with up-to-date definitions, and using it regularly, simple things that very few people do. People act like the net is the stereo-typical United States suburbia of the 50's, when it is more like being a part of one big city, if you leave your doors unlocked, someone will get in. It doesn't mean that if you lock the doors someone won't get in, but atleast it will slow them down.

Sad, I was browsing my schools network, found root level shares, unpassword protected, with read/write on them, it is things like this that are just plain bad, I went to fix a computer that had been infected with nimda, and the definitions file was from 1999!

before I really start ranting. . .,
    dhej

Bravo

First... Very good KapperDog....A very good introductory post for beginners

Second... Back to the top of the newbie forum

I think this post should be locked at the top of the newbie forum!
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha

Yar, back to the top with yah.

RE: Newbie Read

hmmm how about not only locking this on top but having it a mandatory read for membership. just not sure how to do it that someone doesnt just click ya I read it. Thing is when you do read it. It is fantastic.

my 2 cents worth..OOOPs forgot I am canadian what's that US about 1/4 of a cent with current exchange rate.
    Mike M aka greyhairedwolf
    ----------------------------------------------
    Eight Words The Wiccan Rede Fulfills
    \"An it harm none do what you will\"
    A mind is like a parachute it only works
    WHEN OPEN

Cool

let me try to put this thread on top from my side...
    there is some easy and good understandable documents and information at here
    it will definately help u learn something and keep u away from doing this types of things to others....as they are harmful and only destroy...

happy learning....

intruder....

Angry ATTENTION !! ATTENTION !! ATTENTION !! ATTENTION !!

hey friends all buddies out there reading kapper's this documents pls pay attention....

the line in the document

" If you must be malicious, go here and follow the instructions "

which opens site

"http://warex.box.sk/howto/netbioshack.htm"

there are certain links in the sites which itself contains back door trojans and the files which are for downloads also contails back doors....
    so viewers and newbies....pls take care... and don't try to download any thing from this site ....only read and thats all...

all the best....

intruder....

Angry ATTENTION !! ATTENTION !! ATTENTION !! ATTENTION !!

hey friends all buddies out there reading kapper's this documents pls pay attention....

the line in the document

" If you must be malicious, go here and follow the instructions "

which opens site

"http://warex.box.sk/howto/netbioshack.htm"

there are certain links in the sites which itself contains back door trojans and the files which are for downloads also contails back doors....
    so viewers and newbies....pls take care... and don't try to download any thing from this site ....only read and thats all...

all the best....

anyone got glue this subj keeps slipping

This post keeps on slipping down...JP please lock this one at the top on newbie board
    Mike M aka greyhairedwolf
    Eight Words The Wiccan Rede Fulfills
    \"An it harm none do what you will\"
    A mind is like a parachute it only works
    WHEN OPEN