Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Unable to delete long URLs in "My Favorites"

Angry HELP! Unable to delete long URLs in "My Favorites"

I have several URLs in "My Favorites" that I cannot delete. They were placed there by "UNFRIENDLY Flash-up sites". I don't want them on my computers.

I have tried everything I can think of to delete them. I have tried to delete them directly from the Favorites folders. I have tried to use a text editor, a Hex editor, from the COMMAND line, Safe Mode...... Nothing!

All suggestions appreciated,

Chad

Not to be a smart ass but, did you try to right click on the link and select 'delete'?

Also, if you are trying from the command prompt and it is a long url, make sure you use the MS-DOS name shown in the properties.
    KapperDog

Kapper,

That was one of the first things I tried. Like I said, I have tried every way I can find to delete these files.

reboot your comp and bring up the menu with safemode etc(ualually by pressing f8) in it and select command prompt only
    goto the directory they are in and type:

del followed_by_the_URL

that should do the trick

chris@zxtech.net
    www.zxtech.net
    ZXtech UNIX Hosting

If you do as zx says, make sure you use the 8.3 MS-DOS file name. DOS will not support the long url you described.
    KapperDog

Many thanks to both ZXTECH and Kapperdog. I have tried removing from the command line in Safe mode without success. No matter how I enter the request I cannot remove the file. It remains protected by some hidden attribute I cannot find.

unable to delete files

If there is a problem with file attributes you can use the attrib command, type "attrib /?" for the options

A better idea is to copy the favourites that you do want to keep to another directory and just remove the whole direcory using the deltree command, afaik windows should recreate it for you, once its done that, copy your favourites back in.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I have tried to delete the entire directory. I have also tried to access the attributes of the files. Wen I try to access the attributes, I get a dialog that tells me "The Properties are Unavailable".

My concern is that these files are actually a malicious code that will do damage to my system.

Chad

Are you sure you have tried to delete the directory in safemode/command prompt? As long as you power off for a few minutes to avoid the (slim) chance of a memoy resident virus, there should be nothing to stop you deleting any file/directory you choose.

I'm telling you! I've tried everything. That is why I'm so concerned about it. I've tried to find references to them in the Registry and no luck. I just don't know where to turn.