Thread: New Standards for Linux

Post New Standards for Linux

The Free Standards Group has announced that they will make a standard API for Linux, making it easier to run applications across different versions of Linux! The FSG consists of members like IBM, COMPAQ, DELL, Oracle, RedHat and SuSE.

Those are mighty good news. I was a little worried when i found out Red-Hat included a not yet released (modified?) version of the C-compiler GCC in RH7.2. It seemed to me they were on their way to create their very own version of Linux. But now I realise they're not!

It's important that the different distros pull in the same direction, that's the only way to increase Linux' market-shares.

The link
    ---
    proactive

Banned
    Yeah... Thats the way to succeed... Go with the crowd... Microsoft broke away and now their being patronized by security experts.... Oh wait.... M$ sucked even before it broke away

more power with many. let all linux variants climb aboard. Then there will be some real challenge to mscoft.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Thumbs up

It's important that the different distros pull in the same direction, that's the only way to increase Linux' market-shares.
    This is an excellent move on behalf of all the Linux manufacturers, but I can only see it going so far because each distributer is going to try to keep / increase their own market share. But it is a good move, at the very least it should lead to more competition it the Linux world.