Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win2k

Win2k

I've never had such problems with incompatibilty before....EVER!

Don't use cheap Taiwanese hardware.

Win2K.. at least, Advanced Server, is the best version of Windows next to 3.1 that I have ever used. All my hardware works, all my software works. Even on a server system, my multimedia applications, and even games work. I thitnk the incompatibilities come from user error, or from software drivers/applications that have not been upgraded by your 3rd world component companies.
    Jason Parker - http://www.o-negative.net
    o-Negative: Information Network

W2K

I would say w2k professional is better, what with IIS being a crucial part of advanced server - you want to open your machine to a pandora's box of problem's - IIS is the way to do it.

Whats your fondness for windows 3.1? i seem to remember it was a buggy pile of ****.

WHAT?! Haha, Win3.1 was incredible. With the Win32 suppliment and the fact that it ran on TOP of DOS, it created an environment for computing matched only by the ease of use of GeosWorks. Too bas GeosWorks wasn't very popular. It totally out ranked Win3.1.

What was really cool, was the integration of MS's NetBEUI in Win3.11 for Workgroups, wasn't that fun?

Win 3.1 Wasn't too bad, Win 2.0 now that was total ****....... Now Win2k Professional You wouldn't BELIEVE the security holes that I've stumbbles upon out of nowhere! And they haven't been listed in a service park nor have been discussed ANYWHERE that i've been able to find. I guess I'm gonna try'n sell them to microsoft....If they even care!

You didn't say anything about security holes.. You said "incompatibilities", did you not?

w2k

Any chance of letting us know some of these security holes?
    (Can't see microsoft buying them!)

Unhappy

I used Win2K for about 9 months. It was more stable than any other MS OS I have used but did have several incompatibilities. The software that came with my hp burn totaly toasted it, until after digging long enough on their site I found that you had to get an update and install it before the reboot of the system. Also the last I checked they where not going to support it on Win2K server at all. I also had problems with the pppoe software needed for my DSL. In order to gatway to my home network I had to setup 2 NICs instead of the one required to accomplish the same task under Win98SE.

Computer Forensics
    did you ever think to read the article by Microsoft "is Windows 2000 right for you?" or check if your hardware was compatible?

Such is the price you pay for not paying attention.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Well hell, I'm considering Mandrake8. I've got a copy sitting right next to me right now.......(hand moves towards CD then moves away quickly)