Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMOS and BIOS

Question CMOS and BIOS

Hello all: Many of the posts are way over my head, but here goes my first.
    Just how do I go about accessing the CMOS and the BIOS on my windows machine. I would like to change the pasword/s and log the data for furture reference. Thanks.

Computer Forensics
    well it depends on the system and the BIOS. usually pressing the delete key during POST will do it. when it says press<this key> to enter setup. do it and it will take you there.

Compaq is usually F1 or F10

enjoy.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Banned

i hate compaq and hp

I hate certain computers, like compaq or hp that dont specify how to get into BIOS, i know i was trouble shooting my cousins computer and wanted to go into BIOS to change around some things and it was a pain to find out that its F10...
    oh well just wanted to share it

Banned
    I hate certain computers, like compaq or hp that dont specify how to get into BIOS, i know i was trouble shooting my cousins computer and wanted to go into BIOS to change around some things and it was a pain to find out that its F10...
    oh well just wanted to share it

Don't get me wrong, I don't much care for Compaq myself, but if you *read* a little closer at boot, it does say:

"Press F10 to enter setup"

if your comp has a splash startup logo and doesnt tell you what to press to enter setup you may want to try delete, along with the forementioned f-keys, and if all else fails, look online for documentation on your mobo\computer
    Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune

At start up, on my pc, it is TAB...just watch what it says when it is recognizing hardware.

There are several options:

F10 is common for Compaq, F1 0r F2 will tend to work with IBM/Dell otherwise it will be &lt;delete&gt; or &lt;Esc&gt;

You only have one password, it is the power/boot-up one. This is what you set in the BIOS/CMOS. All other passwords are driven by your operating system, or third party security software that you have installed.

If you set the "boot" password....make sure that you write it down and keep it in a safe place

Just how do I go about accessing the CMOS and the BIOS on my windows machine. I would like to change the pasword/s and log the data for furture reference. Thanks.
    You cannot get the system to "remember" the boot password. That only works with the operating system one.

I think that we need more information about your machine?

1.Make/model
    2.BIOS manufacturer/version (at top of screen when it boots)
    3. Operating System (95/98/98se/Me/NT4/2K/XP)

Cheers

hehe.. look up nihil... Hades suckered you unto posting to a two year old thread.. LOL...

Hi jenjen.............merry Christmas!

Not exactly, I left him alone and did not "snide" or neg

I do not know what the hell kind of box he runs but "tab" to get into setup is a new one on me?.......perhaps you could enlighten me there?

You have to take a view, and I did..............like that the last suggestion (the most recent) was the least likely to work?

It is a fundamental problem that we leave posts hanging around and constantly advise new members to "search the site" or "google for it".........if you search the site and find that post, I think you would spend a long time hitting "tab" ?

If we leave old posts and don't do any housekeeping then we would leave ourselves open to false information being spread..............the person seing the post is not going to know about negative antipoints or why they were given? False information, like UEDs should not be left lying around?

OK maybe tab works for him, but I haven't come across it before, so it isn't common?

Maybe I should just have given him a bollocking?

Cheers