Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: windows ME

Originally posted by ThePreacher

Good question. Save up and get yourself a bicycle or maybe a dvd player. Dont buy windows me.
    I ALREADY HAVE WINME AND I THINK IT IS MORE STABLE AND FASTER THAN WIN 98SE FOR EXAMPLE.

Exclamation

Ok, he asked for it...

1. Windows ME isn't stable AT ALL. I HATE THAT STUPID OS. I have had it crash more than 100 times since I've had it. Thank goodness I am soon getting Windows XP Home Edition upgrade for $100. I just can't take it anymore.

2. On your very first post ever, NEVER EVER disagree with someone.
    --It\'s all good... (Except for Windows ME)--

Exclamation

One last thing...

The only thing I am thankful to ME for is the fact that it can upgrade to XP Home for $100 instead of me having to pay 200 for full home, or 300 for full professional
    --It\'s all good... (Except for Windows ME)--

Originally posted by porcupine_tree
    I ALREADY HAVE WINME AND I THINK IT IS MORE STABLE AND FASTER THAN WIN 98SE FOR EXAMPLE.
    Windows ME is a piece of crap, it can't manage it's resources thus making it crash easier. Every experienced PC user who has used win 3.1 95/98 etc knows that ME is by far unstable. Win 98 would be a better option or better yet Win 2000.

I'll have to admit that I use ME and its really not all that bad. I found that it was unstable and couldn't be left on for more than a few days and it like to **** up after coming out of its power saving mode. But eh, after I killed explorer.exe in favor of using aston it really pered up. It runs smooth and quick. I havn't had any problems since then.
    I'm looking forward to seeing XP and of course linux blows all Mcrocrap away.
    Those who are awake all live in the same world.
    Those who are asleep live in their own worlds. -Heraclitus

All Your Base!

Windows Xp is 20 times whorse!!! and dos is away 4 good.. i hope linux get's it support

Whats wrong with XP? its very stable, very quick....
    I'd say the worst part about XP is that its too cutesy....

I don't want a cute OS.. I want a functional one...

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by porcupine_tree
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are one of the rare people who have gotten a stable ME system... you should feel honored.... but ME is without a doubt the worst OS that Microsoft has ever made..... except maybe for Xenix, but I can't prove that, I haven't seen it...

Originally posted by Anirak

2. On your very first post ever, NEVER EVER disagree with someone.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's bullshit Anirak.. to all newbies, feel free to disagree with someone on your first, second, hell every post... as long as your not doing it to be annoying, its quite ok to disagree with people.. this is a open forum....

If you have information contrary to what someone else is saying, post away.....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Thumbs down Windows & then Widows

I've used Windows ME and I think it's the best of the 9x series. It's no way near perfect and the missing dos stuff is a let down but it's not really catered for people who want to fool around with their systems.

It bothers me sometimes to see all these people bag windows not because they are wrong, they are mostly right, but because they compare it to things like win2000 and linux. Let's face it, win9x is designed for the mass market - for people who just want to use a pc and not have anything to do with how it works.

I agree it's not a great OS but it does the job. If you want something more then you probably wouldn't even look at the win9x.

Wink dos win me win2000 and win 98

My humble opinion the thing is, if you don't do any stunts with windows you won't need to mess with DOS or to boot from a disk.

I tried to substitute windows for Linux, I couldn't I kept running against numerous problems I just could not solve.

Until a Linux based OS comes that is as usable as windows and that does not require the *nix knowlige that Linux does no entreprise here in Portugal will ever even considere using it.

Imagine explaining a secretary that if this or that happends she will have to log out, go in as root and the rd and edit and use vi and... etc. etc. and also targz this and that to install her wonderfull aplications, nope, it wont work.

Windows 2000 is ok I guess although its heavy as my ex-girl friend and it makes a lot of rumbling and takes a long time to boot and start up. It also needs some 200Mb of service packs once in a while, but then, is that not to make it safe, as the kernell patches for linux are?

I installed IE 6.0 and had to reinstall Windows2000, I can't imagine what went wrong but something did, big time.

Windos 98 SE, it's ok. It crashes once in a while, you have to firewall it to go to IRC and thats it, I think it's ok.

Thanks for reading,

pipas_ can be found @ #hackers.pt @ DalNet

pipas_

Re: yes WinMe sucks, and XP is the beginning of the end :D

For all of you XP lovers out there check out the Halloween docs at OpenSource.org
    http://www.opensource.org/halloween/

imho XP is enabled with .NET and C# which are a new initiative by M$ to force an internet protocol that Linux can not legally compete with. Linux kicks much ass where the current protocols are concerned and that scares the hell out of our Redmond geeks.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.