Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I require some advice ..

Unhappy I require some advice ..

I was recently banned from this irc server , or at least i think i got banned since i get connection refused every time i try to connect,
    I did a port scan of their server out of curiosity.
    Look i´m not a hacker a cracker nor a scipt kiddie or whatever you guys call it.
    I am simply curious about computers and how those things work, and i use whatever "legal" way possible to learn.

As you probably know from reading this msg i am no genious(not even spelled right) (;
    but perhaps some of you could enlighten me , port scans arent illegal are they ?
    Does this irc server have the right to ban me for a port scan and if it has how do i get unbanned ?
    i use a dial-up connection wich means diffirent ip-adress every time i connect to the net, but how can they know it is me i have changed the computer name and all.
    Smile ... tomorrow will be worse

If you have a dynamic IP and you still can't connect even though you have a different IP each time - they didn't just single you out. More than likely they banned a range of IP's. I was on a server a long while back, they relized that a few people who kept causing problems came from compuserve IP's,so the banned everyone using compuserve cause they couldn't just ban one or two people. Its not the nicest way to stop problem users with dynamic IP's, but it sure was effective. We never heard from those guys again.

It also just might be a virus on your computer I know when I had a virus the server wouldnt connect but once I cleaned the system it worked fine.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Question ?

so is a port scan legal i often use them as well as ip scaners,
    but i do not use them to hack or crack.
    i do a lot of online gameing and i use them to see if a friends server is up,is this leagl...?
    Life is like a **** sandwich,
    The more bread u have the less **** u have to eat

Re: ?

Originally posted by dark1
    i do a lot of online gameing and i use them to see if a friends server is up,is this leagl...?
    Portscan aren't exactly illegal. They *are* however a really really big annoyance, and many sysdamins don't like being portscanned or netscanned (port when you scan a host for open port, net when you scan a range with icmp, tcp ping or stuff like that). And they tend to consider portscan as being really rude.

Mixed with other attempts (ftp connections, telnet connections and so on), portscanning is often seen as 'information collect', which is generally a prelude to intrusion attempt.

The best way to learn from that is to build your own network. Take two (or more if you want) computer, buy some ethernet cards (or token ring or arcnet or fddi or cddi or just a serial or parallel cable or whatever net technology you want) and just make your own attempt on your system.

It will avoid you a pissed-off sysadmin howling at your ISP for him to disconnect you!

Jean-Francois

Unhappy Re: ?

hello dark1...friend..i am also very much interested in ip scanners and port scan..but don't know from where i can get it and also how to operate them...and how are they help ful..are they helpful in taking an ip address of somebody who isonline and talking with us...pls tell me friend...
    pls help...
    intruder..

Originally posted by dark1

What OS are you running? Don't say Linux because it already comes with those tools

Port and IP Scanning

If your running a Win32 System I can point you to some places to find some port and IP scanners:

A Good Port Scanner is Raw Logic's NetBrute:
    Available at: http://www.rawlogic.com/netbrute/

It offers port scanning, NetBios Share scanning, and even a Brute force utility for Basic Authentication on Websites. Its pretty good, but most of all its FREE.

If your Looking for an IP scanner, I found one known as AngryIP Scanner, it is also FREE

It is available at:
    http://www.angryipscanner.com/

Both I think are also available on ZDNet, so you can download them there...

Another good utility is a suite of tools called : IP-Tools
    It has a several good tools, I recommend you check em out

This is Available at: http://www.ks-soft.net/ip-tools.eng/index.htm

If you need any more tools for Win32 or have questions, drop me a line!
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha

Gobinjf : i wish i had the money to build my own network, but i havent so i guess i will have to use some other ways to satisfy my curiosity.

Any of you guys know how i can bypass the ban on the irc server so i can connect to it once again ?
    Smile ... tomorrow will be worse

If you use a proxy, that will probably get on since your IP will be masked by it. I would setup a proxy for everyone here if I wasn't afraid of it being abused

Here at work, our firewall blocks about all outgoing connections (which sucks, but secure I guess) Except, well I found a way out, hehe. Basically I setup my home system with a password proxy on port 80 to bounce anything around I want. This is how I get my IMs working and check my home e-mail. IRC clients, Instant Messagers, etc all usually have settings for proxies. If you search the web, you might even find someone running an open proxy for, you never know