Thread: The Onion Router

T3h Ch3F

Talking The Onion Router

Have any of you heard of the Onion Router, It was a privacy and security test conducted by the United States Government, which concluded in 2000. I had many experiences with this test(and i was not officially part of it) It was extremely informative. I am currently looking for people who were directly and indirectly involved in this test, for a general discussion. And commentary on its effectivness, and development of a future generation of "Onion Routers".

P:

AntiOnline Newbie

Smile onion routing info

im not sure if you knew of this website but it has a lot of info about onion routing http://www.onion-router.net/

the site does say in big bold letters "The Onion Router Prototype Network is Off-Line as of January 28 , 2000" so im assuming this has been in reasearch for a while.

Heres a brief at the top of the web page: "The Onion Routing research project is building an Internet-based system that strongly resists traffic analysis, eavesdropping, and other attacks both by outsiders (e.g. Internet routers) and insiders (Onion Routers themselves). It prevents the transport medium from knowing who is communicating with whom -- the network knows only that communication is taking place. In addition, the content of the communication is hidden from eavesdroppers up to the point where the traffic leaves the OR network. "

also

"Onion routing has been prototyped on Sun Solaris 2.5.1/2.6. The prototype includes proxies for private Web browsing, remote login, and also anonymizing versions of those proxies that remove identifying information from the data stream. These pages describes the Onion Routing system at several levels of abstraction, including a detailed specification for reimplementors. "

explains a lot. visit the site for more

T3h Ch3F

Wink Greetings DUD

The site you recommended was the very place that I originally discovered the concept being developed. I should say stumbled apon as I was, at the time experimenting with different methods of "Plugging" into routers so to speak. On the downside I ended up losing my ISP for my interest in the new methods of router filtering, as they were very serious about protecting this new information. But I did learn some things, they will use it to as much spy on their own, as they will, to secure it from people interested in it. And the IP range used for the test, was well known in the general population (Those of us who look for knowledge), as it was easily accesible in the router logs. This left a massive amount of opportunity for people to look into the project, "From the inside".

P: