Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AntiOnline Max Password

AntiOnline Max Password

Did anyone else notice that the maximum password for antionline accounts is 15?

When you put in a password longer than 15 the coe just cuts off the rest. You can imagine my confusion when I put in my 20+ passsword in over and over to make sure I didn't make repeated typos.

I know that this doesn't really matter, security wise, after 9 characters or so but why cant we fill up just a few more bytes in the database. I'm sure that Terr has filled up more space on the server in one hour than all of the account database.
    Tsk Tsk that \'vB Code is ON\' is really tempting me.. No bad prof.! BAD!

Lol! Dear sir, if you would do the math! Let us say that I have 5.13 posts per day (actual factual number as of a minute ago)... Let's assume I freqent this place at an amazingly generous 2 hours a day. Thus my daily output would be approximately 2.565 messages in an hour. These messages are usually so pointless and mediocre that they are instantly represented with the DoltPost encoding, which uses a long int in order to describe up to 65536 types of Doltish Post, with #0 being a blank post, and #65535 being "I like to eat my belly-button lint.". Thus, I only take up approximately 5.13 bytes of information per day.

However, conversely, with 26598 total members on the board, only 1710 have more than 5 posts, thus being 'not lurkers'. Thus, 24,888 accounts are totally worthless. Assuming that the average password length was 8, increasing it to 20 would make it more like ten, and that would mean two extra bytes on each password. Had this originally been implemented before the boards started...

This would mean that an additional 49776 bytes would be used by the system in storing user passwords for defunct accounts alone. Since I use two bytes per Dolt Posts, and have only about 211 posts, my 422 bytes is FAR less than what you are proposing!

I have no life. I admit it. Heh.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Does that qualify as fuzzy math?

Dhej

I have a correction, assuming the user password field used a fixed length for the string, you would want to change it from 15 to 20, right? That means not two, but FIVE more bytes per account! Which means more like 127,440 wasted bytes!

And, seriously, even if I wrote up to the whole text-box on the page here, and totally filled it with text, it would only be about 2100 characters, if they were all periods. (Since this is not fixed-width font, and I DO use tabs and newlines, it would be FAR less)

That means 2100 characters per post, I have 5.13 posts a day, so I would have 10,773 bytes per day, which still is FAR outclassed by the 127,440 wasted bytes of the extra password fields! (That doesn't include the 1710 'real' accounts, which would add 8550 bytes to that)

Question

Why would you want a password that big in the first place?

~

Yes it is fuzzy math(whats fuzzy math again?) as each one of your posts probably averages .8k of space on the server. Most everyone else averages more like a quarter of a kB at most but the massive posts you sometimes put up and the almighty flame from Terr that is much more than one full page would up your average inbetween one half and full. Now I am wondering as to how you can say that this entire text I am writing can be condensed into a couple of bytes? Every character of ASCII is one of 256, a system th--ahh who cares about common knowledge. I'm not sure of what you are talking about but the text you submit every day is far greater than a few mere bytes.

kay you corrected yourself

How many of those crap accounts would have passwords that long anyway. Most people cannot remember long passwords anyway, unless it is a phrase. I use random keystrokes so technically some of my common passwords would take roughly one solid year for all of the computers in the US to crack, twenty years from now I don't want some newbie to read my email.

Any password that was not the maximum length would obviously not be stored as the full length with null characters before it in most systems.

This systems max password could be increased at any time(unless it is a uncommon system) considering that it is a restriction not an attribute or assignment.

That needs some justification. I answered questions in the last post that were not asked yet. It just saves time.

Re: ~

The DoltPost encoding/compression is... sarcasm and a joke! What a novel thing. I'm not sure where you got those numbers of .8k. I just showed that even if I had no carriage returns and all the characters were very thin (non fixed-width font, remember?) I would only use about 2.1kb per message that fit within the message box, which is a generous overstatement, given that most characters in Arial are wider than the period, and that I don't write everything in one block, and seldom fill the entire box... I have 960 bytes right here!

As for the mighty flame from Terr... Huh?

For the 'passwords should be truncated' arguement, that means whenever anyone changes their password the entire file containing their password must be rewritten, because you've changed the size of the file. I would think that just leaving null spaces would make it easier to modify without filesystem fragmentation and hassle. Even this post fit within the message box, and I have 991 bytes right here!