Thread: Is Linux Going Mainsteam.

Banned

Is Linux Going Mainsteam.

I knew that would catch your eye. Cmae across this earlier,

www.computeruser.com/news/01/10/06/news6.html

What do you think?

Well after looking at mandrake distru, I was really impressed. It look like microsoft stole all the source code and did this. But really it was the hard work of many people around the world and it's FREE!!

I've been playing around with the GUI all week, everything is nice and pretty, easy to navigate. Just about do anything with a mouse now
    I'm seriously considering putting this on some office computers just to see how the "non-computer gurus" can use it. It has all the word processing, spreadsheet, web surfing, etc that everyone loves to use. Even has a winamp looking player with it that works very well.

For those using windows, attached a screenshot of the desktop just to make you drool
    Attached Images Attached Images

Computer Forensics
    first off, who cares if its mainstream? Isn't that the point of having a company ? appealing to the masses?
    last I heard linux had only 13% of the server shares in the world...
    the more the better I say, mainstream all the way

KNightmb: atleast you are using KDE and not gnome.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

And just what's so wrong with Gnome? Both desktop environments are great. Just because Nautilus was a little buggy when it was released doesn't mean that Gnome is bad. If I have to use X, I use Gnome (when I have the RAM to handle it) because I like the look and feel better than KDE.
    When RAM is tight and still need to run X I use WindowMaker or ICEwm.

Computer Forensics
    nothing is wrong with gnome. I just felt like stirring up the age old desktop war. Not that it truly matters.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Arrow

About a year ago, my old boss who was completely and utterly computer illiterate came up to me and asked what Linux was. It is impossible to say when something is mainstream because there are many different things to look at, but the mere fact that someone who didn't know what the X in the top right of a window does was asking about Linux is a huge step in the right direction.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase