Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having problems--please help!!

Unhappy Having problems--please help!!

One day last week i was surfing & hit the back button on my browser & got a page that was blank, except for ~Umy husband's name). This has continued to happen but it only happens when i'm on an i-village site. I've installed ZoneAlarm, ran more than one anti-trojan program & have deleted a couple programs. The programs flagged an efax program that came with an HP scanner, Backweb.exe, and Tsc.exe & i deleted those. But still i would get the screen with husband's name on it. i went in and manually deleted all temp internet files and cookies & now i just get a blank screen (which isn't quite as irritating as getting his name). While in the temp internet files, i discovered a program that i didn't recognize and deleted it without writing down its name. I think it was something like favonit.

Since i've installed Zone Alarm, i've found it easier to stay connected to the internet. For several months i had been thinking that my modem was tearing up because it wouldnt even realize that it was disconnected from the internet and i would have to re-start the computer to get the modem to work again. So am i correct to assume that someone was knocking me off the internet. I've had several suspicious looking atttempts to access my computer since i've installed zone alarm, including a few from people who are on my ISP.

I would appreciate any advice or information at all. And i'm sorry that i'm so stupid about all of this.

i discovered a program that i didn't recognize and deleted it without writing down its name. I think it was something like favonit
    What you deleted was probably "FAVICON"!!
    Dont worry too much on that one...
    If you post your alerts here we could help out a bit more..
    As you say you are getting probes from your own server,This could be many things??
    Good that you have a firewall and watch for "exe" files that you dont know...E.G virus.exe
    Zonealarm will tell you if any trojans want to connect to the net,so keep an eye out for strange named files.

Thanks for the input--more

Yes, i think that it was Favicon that i deleted.

Another very suspicious looking program was the Backweb. Zone Alarm said that it was asking for server rights. This happened after PC Door had flagged it as a trojan (PC door didnt delete it because i didn't register & i was trying to figure out what the program was before deleting it). So i manually deleted that one after it asked for server rights. It looked like a legitimate program but i'm not sure why i had it, unless its a program that you use to get patches for microsoft outlook.

Anybody have any ideas on the page with my husband's name on it? Its now a blank screen that i'm getting and i have to hit refresh.

Thanks!

Thanks for the input--more

Yes, i think that it was Favicon that i deleted.

Another very suspicious looking program was the Backweb. Zone Alarm said that it was asking for server rights. This happened after PC Door had flagged it as a trojan (PC door didnt delete it because i didn't register & i was trying to figure out what the program was before deleting it). So i manually deleted that one after it asked for server rights. It looked like a legitimate program but i'm not sure why i had it, unless its a program that you use to get patches for microsoft outlook.

Anybody have any ideas on the page with my husband's name on it? Its now a blank screen that i'm getting and i have to hit refresh.

Thanks!

Lightbulb

It sounds to me like the page may have just expired since it only happens on that one site, but that doen't explain why you got your husband's name. Is this by any chance a site that requires a login? I've never been there. Also, I'd say the chances of this being due to a trojan or other virus are pretty close to zero.

backweb.exe

Do not worry about this program...it is not a backdoor or trojan.

It is a piece of software that comes with HP(it think, or maybe Compaq, i can't remember which). It does open a port on your computer, which is why the detector recognised it as a backdoor.

The software is intended to allow a technician to connect to your computer if there is a problem.

I do not think that this software is used anymore and i certainly don't run it, but it would not have been causing the problem.

a quick thought.

just out of interest is your husbands name common? perhaps it could be an acronym?

Banned

timed out

i think its just timed out and its like the person above me said its probaly an acronym

Banned
    BackWeb... Are you by any chance using F-Secure AV software? BackWeb needs server rights to automatically update your virus-definitions...

And about the acronym: your husband's name wouldn't be by any accident 'Error 404' or 'Page Expired' ?

Very funny

about the error 404. He doesn't have a totally off the wall name, but it certainly isn't common either. But like i said, once i cleared all cookies and temp files, i started just getting a blank screen. I asked the site and they were no help at all. at least it only happens on the one site.

& i think that the person was correct above who said that HP computers come with backweb to diagnose problems. i'm not using the F-secure AV software.

Anyways. thanks for all the help.

(and let me see if i can post this message only ONCE this time....)