Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you punish kids that hack?

Banned

dont take his computer away

why take his computer away so far u have no evidence to prove he has done anything wrong but anyway
    install a firewall limit him to port 25, 80 , 8080 etc
    that should fix the problem and also if he really has the skills it will present him with a challenge!

this should work

give them a job at microsoft...if they don't quit hacking after that nothing will stop those poor ******z

Talking Re: this should work

Originally posted by tripstone
    give them a job at microsoft...if they don't quit hacking after that nothing will stop those poor ******z
    LOL

Well maybe he could come in as an intern. He's not old enough to be paid to work (legally), that should be a big plus with the boss

Question legal issue

I was once in a similar situation(i was the perpetrator), and i was told that by law breaking into someones computer without their knowledge held the same punishment as physically breaking into their house.

Whether it was true or not it did the trick for me. With a victim list as large as mine was I decided it wasn't worth the risk.

PS. does anyone know what the actual punishment is for using a trojan to access someone's computer without their consent?

Banned
    Im sure its the same as what youd get for cracking a server with an exploit or whatever.

Taking the computer away seems to be the main idea coming from the people here and I agree.

Not being a parent, I may not be qualified to answer but I would say, don't punish him, encourage him.

A little guidance goes a long way.

Encourage him to register here and read the forum on a regular basis. If he is a bright kid (sounds like he is) he will quickly learn the difference between malicious and ethical hacking.

Before I came to Antionline, I thought all hackers were crackers (if I'm using the terms correctly). Since I have been reading here (almost a year), I have learned a lot about security but, more importantly, I have learned about the opinions and attitudes of top notch security professionals. It's been a real eye opener for me.

I'm proud to be a regular member of Antionline. I'm sure he will be too.
    KapperDog

Originally posted by KapperDog

Before I came to Antionline, I thought all hackers were crackers (if I'm using the terms correctly). Since I have been reading here (almost a year), I have learned a lot about security but, more importantly, I have learned about the opinions and attitudes of top notch security professionals. It's been a real eye opener for me.
    Thats the truth. The same thing happened to me.

KaKoKoOl discribed it the best in his hacker definition post
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=118754
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]