Thread: is there a way to secure windows 98 SE login?

is there a way to secure windows 98 SE login?

I did a search on Go.com (my fav, fast and serious), and found a couple of registry hacks (edits) to disable the ability to click cancel and get to the desktop without entering a password. They did not work! I have a policy editor but the puter needs to be hooked to a network in order for the edits to work...i am not on a network...is there any way of doing this for a personal puter...i have some junk i don't want messed with...please point me in the correct direction thank you

Lightbulb

May I suggest that in the scenereo you suggest that you upgrade to Windows 2000. In win98 all I would have to do (i may be wrong of course i am no expert) is to create a new user profile even if you password it. then I have access. With win2k u can control with admin rights things like who goes on and what they have access to. u can also file by file or on the folder level lock programs and files. I may be wrong and if i am I am sure someone will point out all the flaws in my theory.

mike m aka greyhairedwolf
    Mike M aka greyhairedwolf
    ----------------------------------------------
    Eight Words The Wiccan Rede Fulfills
    \"An it harm none do what you will\"
    A mind is like a parachute it only works
    WHEN OPEN

Angry Grrr...

If you want security on your PC, Windows 98 is just about the WORST operating system you can use. There is virtually no security. If you want a secure login, get Windows 2000.

9x

I also used win98, as i have to due to network application restrictions.

Although clearly 2000 is much better for security, it would be very useful to stop people pressing the cancel button when you have to log on.

It would provide that little bit more of a deterent for people walking past and wanting to use your computer

Lightbulb An alternative....

I use a BIOS password @ power on to stop people using my computer when its off.

And I also have a screen saver password, with a quick launch access button, so i just click it when i leave. Most people who *want* to gain access will restart the computer, and thats when the bios pass comes in.

bios password

true enough _wise_ a bios password is one of the steps that this person may implement. should have thought of that
    Mike M aka greyhairedwolf
    Eight Words The Wiccan Rede Fulfills
    \"An it harm none do what you will\"
    A mind is like a parachute it only works
    WHEN OPEN

regarding bios passwd

the version of bios i have does not allow any sort of configuring or anything save for the time and date, whether you want to keep a system log and that's about it. I have a Gateway Asstro with a 400 Celeron 2 count them 2 gigs of hard drive space i think 64 megs of ram on a simm chip integrated audio kickass cd player(not) it is 40x though, a 3 1/2 you know what that is, 15 in monitor 13 viewable, a winmodem, integrated video adapter...haven't seen any video card or audio card, no expansion slots, four usb ports no other ports all for only $1300, now those of you who remember my other posts and/or from irc will know that this is not really my puter but my ol ladys, im going to try and buy my parts from dalco.com and/or find them on pricewatch.com, i am so sick of this piece of crap comp, that I want a server tower case so i can stick four 20 gig harddrives in it, one for each of four os's i plan on installing. five fans, two power supplies, and anything else anyone thinks would be good, then i won't be able to complain, as for the people complaining about the computer their parents bought them...go to bed!...at least you're not working on a junker like I am...

bios....

you should be able to download an updated bios from the developer...or else a different bios that does have support for passwords....

Lightbulb

This might be a little out of the way, but you could write your own password login if you know a little Visual Basic. I did this for a few of our salesman here at work. Basically they had a win98 laptop, wanted a little better secure login process. I wrote a small VB program that started as a service. When someone logs in or clicks cancel this program pops up. It intercepts the ctrl+alt+del keys, takes top most control the desktop, and of course presents a password screen. After entering the password, the program would simply close, returning you to the desktop. Of couse you can throw logos or backgrounds in the program too if you wish. A good way to start learning hacking is to learn some programming, might present a good challenge for newbies