Thread: Firewall Log Humor

Talking Firewall Log Humor

Before I sign off tonight let me share with you the results of my firewall log, while being online only two hours!

Alerts from ZoneAlarm: 191 Alerts (Holy Smokes!)

Common Alert Cause (95%): Attempt to connect to port 6346

Most were from a handful of IP addresses...So naturally I assumed the worse and thought someone was attacking me...

A Google search turned up the following info:
    The Gnutella Network that currently uses programs such as Limewire and Bearshare, attempts to connect computers together through port 6346, 6347 or 6348.
    Apparently, BearShare and Limewire take adavantage of what I assume is a "resume" feature, so whoever was sharing with these people HAD the IP I was dynamically assigned tonight...so when those people tried to connect for their files, I got bombarded with attempts to connect to port 6346

Ok... Now I'm up to 206 alerts 15 more in the few minutes it took to write this post!

Just a little tid-bit about port 6346...And how it drove me and my firewall crazy!
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha

Smile

Thanks Simon I`m not the only one who`s Zone Alarm showed over 200 hits in only 5 hours one day, you`ve explained alot in a short space this is an unfortunate problem with dial-up access to the net.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

The only time that i ever got that bad of hits was when the nimda virus was on the loose. Plus when i went to HackerWhacker.com and did a scan.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Banned
    Last nite somebody spent an hour or so trying to scan me for the Netbus server and a Sub7 server, this type of thing upsets me.
    Why?

Because these people are so ill-eduacated they dont realise the difference between giving up and just being annoying. God if I was so relaxed Id have hunted down the little bastard.

Sub7 & Netbus Scan

I know what you mean Ennis! I have people all the time scanning me multiple times for Sub7 and Netbus.

Somtimes I think that the easiest solution is to send an email to their ISP. That way the person will have to explain their actions!
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha

Banned
    I know but I usually let it slide as they are probably just kids trying to look "l33t". Anyway they have little chance of succeeding with such a well known security fault.

Originally posted by Ennis
    I know but I usually let it slide as they are probably just kids trying to look "l33t". Anyway they have little chance of succeeding with such a well known security fault.
    I think this NetBuster might be a funny program...

-ZeroOne