Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oh my new pc

Kwiep

Unhappy oh my new pc

My mother just bought me a new pc "with windows ME". Wow, a new pc aahh ... at last.
    But ... wat's this ... no installation disk? Special recovery partition? Whoeaaa, one
    stupid little virus (dynamite dropper, yes it trashes your mbr) and everything is lost.
    Win 95 doesn't understand what a pentium 4 is, has never heard of geforce and so on. And partition magic sais "fat partitions only exist prior cylinder 1028" what? so now
    I can only use +/- 8 gb of my 40 gb harddisk...
    I will have to bring it back to the store where my mother bought this sjit, snif snif snif, AND IT'S CLOSED TODAY AND I HAVE NO DRIVERS LICENSE TO GO TO ANOTHER
    BWOEAAAAA... poor me, snif snif snif... (it's really really true, it not some kind of story to amuse you guys) bhoewhoehoeoeoe snif...

BUTZEREALONEZURVIVEZ
    Double Dutch

Banned
    Wow, that is very interes....

Why install win95 , install win2k or xp
    Smile ... tomorrow will be worse

Window$ NO PLEASE!!!

Why instal windows instal Linux SuSE 7.2 or Mandrake 8.0/

Talking

Better yet Mandarke 8.1, just downloaded the 3 Gig image today

Actually, depends on what you want to use it for? Are you going to be running an e-business solution server or play the latest games?

It would certainly be a good idea to switch to linux - it would take an initial investment of time and effort to learn how to use it properly though,and if its your mothers pc she might not be so happy with that idea!
    If you want to fix your pc, get a hold of a w98 boot disk and boot your pc from that, when at the dos prompt "fdisk /mbr" should re-write your master boot record.
    The size limitations you speak of only apply to to fat or fat 16 afaik - fat32 should see your drive in its entirety. There's a dos tool - convert - which will upgrade your partitions without losing the data held on them - or at least it's supposed to!

Also - mandrake 8.1 is 3gig! - jeez, the copy of 8.0 i got came on 2 cd iso's - 1300 meg, they've certainly beefed that up!

Talking

Well I'm not sure what they have added, maybe some more packages. I've been downloading the whole thing since yesterday up to about 2Gigs now, about 1 gig left now. I think it's because it has all the source as well, not sure yet. Oh well, never hurts to have too much Linux

Talking

Oh BTW, don't do an ftp install of Mandrake 8.1, all these mirror servers (US anyway) only allow so many connections, keeps killing the install. That's why I'm downloading every single file manually and gonna net install from my own ftp with unlimited connections, HA that should show them colleges, businesses, etc that won't allow me to download more than 30 files at once.

Exclamation

If you got a computer with Windows ME and a Pentium 4, you got what you deserved. I'm not saying that's the problem, but I wouldn't go near them if I were you. I also can't understand why you would try to put Windows 95 on it (unless you were left without a choice).

You need to take the computer back to the store, and slap whoever sold it to you in the face for allowing you to buy such a piece of crap.

If you want a new computer, go to dell.com or gateway.com, and spec one out for yourself, avoiding Windows ME, Windows XP (I ran XP beta 2 and RC1, and I'm not satisfied that all the bugs have been worked out), and the Pentium 4 and Celeron processors if at all possible. If I were you, I would get an AMD Thunderbird processor, and Windows 2000. The Thunderbird processor is far better than the Pentium 4 right now, and is better than the Celeron can ever hope to be. Also, Windows 2000 is far more stable than Windows ME will ever be. I ran ME beta for a while, and it made my system totally unusable.
    There is, however, a downside to these selections. Almost everything is tested on the Pentium series processor, and you can sometimes (but not often) have a hard time finding compatible drivers on Windows 2000. I still think this is the best choice, even with those small drawbacks.

If you have a little extra money to throw around, spec out a system out at alienware.com. It's a little more expensive, but everything is more or less generic, they have very good hardware, their systems are very customizable, and they look REAL COOL. You will have a hard time putting together a system that isn't KICK ASS at this site.

If you have to talk to me again or someone you know who knows what they're doing, please do so. But please, take that P.O.S. machine back to the rip-off shop where you got it, and don't get another one like it. I'm begging you.

Take your Win95 cd, turn it upside down on your desktop and rest your coke on it - its better as a coaster than an op sys for these new fangled machines we buy today.

Next - go to your friends house, create a boot disk from his Win98 box and make sure to add the file Fdisk from his windows\command dir to the floppy.

Go home, boot from the disk, run fdisk, erase the current partition, create a new partition using the full disk and save.

Now go back to your friends house and borrow his Win98 disk (unless you get some wheels - then go buy it to be a good Microsoft lacky like me - sure). Stick it in your cd drive and reboot. If its as fancy a machine as you say it will boot from the cd - follow the instructions. Keep your friends number handy for when it asks for the cd key.

Now your in windows - get the internet running. Most dirvers should be hidden somewhere in that screwy cd they gave you, but if not you can download every driver off the net and all will be great.

Same steps apply to XP.

Hope this helps - if not you then some newbie reading.