Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Web Server

Question Web Server

Here's my problem:

I want to set up my computer to be a web server, so I don't have to abide by some free provider's rules. I got a program that allows me to do this and began building my site. The only problem is that nobody can access my site from outside my network. I can access the site from within the network using my internet IP, so I know my router is forwarding port 80 to my address. I checked all the other settings on my router, and they look OK. This leads me to believe that my cable modem provider is blocking that port. Is there any way I can get around this, like set it up to listen to a different port or something? Sorry if I sound stupid. I learned everything I know from experience, so there are holes in what I know.

If you give some more details i might be able to help - what sort of router? what's the "program" you use as a webserver? I hope for your sake your using linux or at least NT/2000, hosting on 9x isn't a great idea.

I use a Linksys router, and the program I use is called Xitami. And yes, I do run it off of Windows 2000. I know how much the 9x series sucks.

Well i don't know if i'd go as far as to say windows 9x sucks, its all about the right tools for the job, and for serving up webpages - it certainly isn't the right tool.
    I'm afraid i have no experience with either linksys routers or the xitami web server. I will say this though - the reason your able to see your webpage via its ip and nobody else can is probably down to the fact its a related connection, ie: you sent out the request so logically your router will let the reply back in, any other requests (from external ip's) are probably being dropped by the router.
    Then again you did say you ckecked the settings on the router so i could be wrong, i know my cable modem supplier lets me host :-)

Really? What provider do you use?
    Another reason I think that port is being blocked is that the terms of service agreement says that running web servers is forbidden. Normally I would care, but their service is so bad I figure they owe it to me (and they'd probably never find out).

The router probably blocks access to your network from outside of it, a built in firewall
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Unhappy

You probably need to make an application mapping back into your Internal IP. Cheap, easy way would be to put your computer in the DMZ, but that leaves you wide open to windows related attacks. Not a good idea. But it might work for testing, just to make sure it is accepting incoming connection requests. If you are sure you have port mappings that are inbound back to the internal IP of the computer, then it might be the ISP provider. Easy work around is to simply pick another port (like 88 or 8080) and use it that way. If this still doesn't work, the ISP might have gone very extreme and blocked all inbound connections, which would suck ass. But I have heard of some ISP's doing this to prevent people from running any kind of server.

Casper:

Yes, my router has a built-in firewall. No, that's not the problem.

The router we have at work won't let us run a web page in side of it.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

First, the current firmware in my router sucks, so it's harder than hell to get to accept my password to make changes. I was lucky to get it to forward port 80. Otherwise, I WOULD use port-triggering to forward a different port request to port 80. Port 80 works within the LAN, so once the connection gets that far, I don't have to worry about it. I have have to keep my router forwarding port 80 to my computer, since I don't think there's a way to get Xitami to listen to another port. I tried DMZ, but that didn't work (more evidence it's the ISP). I'm not worried about using DMZ because I also use Zonealarm Pro. That's not the problem either because it doesn't work whether or not Zonealarm is on.
    No, my ISP doesn't block all inbound connections. I know this because I can upload files in my file sharing programs.

Im going to try to reinstall the firmware upgrade in my router. Maybe it will be more agreeable to configuration changes after that.