Thread: disabling Road Runner connection....

disabling Road Runner connection....

How do I disable the Road Runner connection on my pc?

You you need to provide more information and I might be able to help.
    Purpose or goal?
    OS?

As a first guess from what you have said I would say unplug the modem.

It's a windows OS...The reason I want to know is because I think there is a way to disable it without actually unplugging it...thanks for your help.

Win 2K will allow you to disable the NIC. Are you trying to maintain a network connection but not an internet connection?

nah, I'm just trying to make it so nobody in my house can get online via the road runner cable modem (e.g. for grounding).

Just shut off whatever internet connection sharing /proxy service you are running, or go into it or your firewall and set rules to block out that computer...

If you just have ONE computer, and want to keep someone from surfing the net with it, just temporarily take away the phone cord/lan cable/USB cord/whatever and keep it in your pocket
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Post Well.....

You can just take the cat 5 cable that the cable modem connects to the computer, router and or hub. You could also delete (remove) the tcp/ip protocol for the NIC (network card or usb). You could always take the Coax Cable and unscrew it from the cable modem and wall. Theres alot of ways you could make it where no one can use the cable modem. But mostly you could just disconnect any cord that makes it where the power, cable, or pc light doesnt light up on the cable modem.

I help people get connected to the Road Runner Service.... Never helped someone get it where they couldnt get on before though I wish I could for some people that call us up.

The above posts are good suggestions but can become a lot of work.

- The bad part about changing you NIC config., you are changing it every time you want to get on line and when you want to dis able it.

- I think it would be easy for a young lad to figure out what cable needs to be replaced to get it working again.

I have a cable connection and I think the easiest thing to do would be remove the power cord on the modem when you want it disabled. Not exactly what you had in mind but it would also be a hard cable to replace. A CAT5 cable, or a coaxial cable can be picked up just about anywhere. The powercord on my modem is unlike any other in my house.