Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The AntiPoints System Is Now Online!

Banned

The AntiPoints System Is Now Online!

Greetings All:

Well, now you have a way to weed out the bad users from the good users, while at the same time building your own reputation on this community.

Welcome To The AntiPoints System!

If you post high quality and thoughtful messages, your fellow members will approve of your posts. By their approval you gain AntiPoints. If you post incorrect, misleading, harassing, or messages against the guidelines, they will disapprove and you will lose AntiPoints.

Your "AntiPoints Rating" will be displayed underneath all of your posts. Only you will know your exact number of AntiPoints -- you can view this by clicking on the AntiPoints icon on the right hand side of your own post or through the "Account Overview" link under the "Your Account" box on the main page. For every 100 points positive or negative, you will gain another "AntiPoints Rating" light. After 5 lights, they will take twice as long to appear.

What Does this Mean For You?

This will allow you to quickly see the resident forum idiots. It allows you to sort the signal from noise by checking the user's "AntiPoints Rating". It will also encourage more thoughtful posts from other members as the AntiPoints will serve as a reward for helping others.

The amount of AntiPoints that you give or take away is determined by a number of factors -- if you're an old respected user, you might give 7 AntiPoints with each click, while a newbie may give only 1.

You also can earn AntiPoints by rating other user's posts, visiting the forums on a regular basis, and a host of other "undisclosed ways". In short, the more you contribute to other members in this community, the more AntiPoints you earn for yourself.

In the future, you will be able to "spend" your AntiPoints on additional site features and gear.

We have dozens of checks and balances installed, that will help limit abuse and fraud of this system. If you are caught attempting to abuse the AntiPoints System, your account will be removed. Period!

I hope that everyone makes use of this exciting new feature. Your suggestions and thoughts about it are always welcome!

Sweeet! Baby.

Thanx that answered my question.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

*hahaha* Oh dear, behaviour modifer control freak antipoints.

I love this site, but points for good behaviour won't change my unpopular views on issues or restrain my use of <sarcasm> font!

PZ :P

No Sir, I don't like it.

Free Speech is fast becoming a thing of the past on the Internet. What, with moderators etc booting you out of chat rooms and what not because they don't like or agree with what you have to say.

Now we have a points system. The most "popular" has the most points. It will no longer be an open discussion of differing opinions but a points race. "I'd better not disagree with him because I might get some negative points"...

Anyway, just my opinion and we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

It's a neat idea, like the old forum rating, but I'm not that sure how it will pan out. Just a suggestion if not already done, a user can't give points to others unless they've been on for a week. That would keep people from scripting some sort of 'register, make negative antipoints for people I don't like, positive ones for myself, repeat' routine.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I actually like the idea. I've been playing an online game that requires posting to generate points. When users post and are suspectible to be rated on their quality, whether by a script or by other users, the quality of the discussion goes higher.

Some discussions here have been informative and helpful as well as challenging. Some have been a waste of bandwidth. This whole points system, from my understanding, should help lessen the wastes of time and generate more meaningful discussion.

Cool

Thank you very much JP...for the people who don't feel like they're worth much in their off-net lives (such as me) it sure helps to have a way to feel important on-net...what a great idea...keep them up dude...

Banned
    Greetings:

The idea is not to stop people from posting different view points, etc. It is to stop people from posting different view points in an inappropriate manner (aka swearing at people, etc.) Also, to stop stupid questions like "How do I hack hotmail" or "Where can I get a serial number for...." Also, it rewards users who spend their time helping others, along with asking intelligent questoins.

There are a LOT of checks and balances in place. The amount of points awarded, or taken away, from your AntiPoints total when a user rates your posts varies depending on a number of criteria, including how long the user has been a member, how many posts they've made, how many AntiPoints they have (ie, that other users have given them), etc. etc. A user that causes trouble, for example, won't have any effect on your SitePoint total when they rate their post, where I have a major effect on your total when I rate them (along with other admins / moderators). Users who have made a lot of helpful posts will have more of an effect than a newbie that's only asked 2 or 3 questions on the forums, etc. etc.

As I said before, those that earn AntiPoints will eventually be able to use them to "buy" additional features on the site, or gear (everything from AntiOnline tshirts to security software, etc. etc.) I want to reward those that make AntiOnline a better place by helping others and by exchanging ideas. At the same time, I want to limit the ability of trouble makers from taking away from that experience.....

wow...

JP - wonderful...completely and utterly wonderful...

I'll admit, I was a tad skeptical at first, but then I tried to downvote someone twice (not on purpose) and it said I had to spread the points around before I could downvote the person again. All I gotta say is "wow". From just a user's perspective it is great and from a web design perspective it is even more amazing.

To top it off, to reward those with high points is even more wonderful. You definately outdid yourself this time.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase