Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello

Originally posted by messenoir
    Thank you. No, I mean it. I will freely admit I am a computer idiot compared to many people, which might be why I like the OS I am using. However, I do like it, so anyone who can help me with my question would be appreciated.

Your welcome... Anytime I can help the mac users..

------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

With my luck everything will crash I installed Linux and killed it in first 15 minutes the whole thing was stuck. Windows Me is by far worst and if you ever used Win2k man that thing just loves blue screens. Ok some humor got this on my mail the other day:

Three things are certain:
    Death, taxes, and lost data.
    Guess which has occurred.
    ------------------------------
    A file that big?
    It might be very useful.
    But now it is gone.
    ------------------------------
    Windows NT crashed.
    I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Enjoy

Windows 2000

What the hell?

Either you didn't set it up right, or you have a totally f@ked up computer because win2000 is as stable as just about any unix system...
    WE ARE the anti cancer...
    WE ARE the only answer...
    email

MacOS for i386?

I keep hearing these rumours about Apple working on a version of OSX for Intel architectures. Does anybody know if this is true?

Focmaester,

No one knows if it is true or not about them porting OS X to x86 hardware. All I know is that Darwin, the core of OS X has been successfully ported to x86 architcture.

I question the usefulness of that though, becuase you would have to compile every program for that system. Which isn't really a problem when using Darwin, becuase that isn't meant for your average Joe-luser, but if OS X itself was ported over, everyapp would have to either come in a fat-binary to run on both architectures, or they would have to make to seperate versions one of PPC and one for x86. Or, they would have to change the install process to something more *nix like where you compile the software on you machine, by using scripts that ensure that at the end the program will run (hopefull).

Since this is more of a head-ache that it is worth, so I couldn't imagine them doing that. Because, mostly Apple is a hardware company, if they made it so that their OS could be installed on any computer, I doubt many people would pay for their really good, but hella expensive hardware.

If you are going to dream about something, dream about Apple giving motorola the boot and going with IBM to make their chips. IBM is far ahead of Motorola with their PPC's in terms of Ghz, but then IBM would need to licence the AltiVec engine from Motorola so that they could have G4s. I don't think it is going to happen, but I want it too.

dhej