Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Hat 7.1 getting online?

Ok I figured it out I have a winmodem. I don't think Linux will be able to use it so what now.

Arrow

freeOn: Unfortunately you will have to get a new modem that isn't a Winmodem. Either get a new 56k that is external (guaranteed to not be a Winmodem although there are internals that aren't also) or get an older 14.4 or 28.8 modem from a friend if you don't want to invest that much money into anything.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

Talking Linux Friendly PCI Modem

Hi. We have a modem that is made by ActionTec (sp?) that we got from Circuit City. We have seen it at Wal-Mart as well. It was priced at 90.00 but we payed 70 something for it. When you install it, you will have to change some config files, but the manual that came with it explained exactly what to do. It's an ActionTec 56k v.90 modem. It may or may not have a picture of Tux on it. The one at Wal-Mart didn't, but it still said it was a hardware modem (as opposed to software / win modem). I hope this helps. If you don't want to pay that much, when you go shopping, look for whether it says it is a "win" modem or "software driven". Don't get anything like that. If you fine one that doesn't advertise that it is a WinModem, you can then ask a sales representative if it is hardware driven or if it requires special software to run it. If the rep doesn't know, he/she should be more than willing to open it and look at the manual to find out for you. Good luck and enjoy the new OS
    Hope this helps

APPENDED:
    The ActionTec modem is an ActionTec CallWaiting modem. If you have call waiting service, it will allow you to answer the phone to see if the call is important with a small window of time before it disconnects. We love it.
    Again, good luck

Computer Forensics
    My personal favorite for modems, are the US robotics 56k V.90 external modems with X2 technology. Kind of expensive, but...you get what you pay for.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Angry

I too had the same problem after installing Red Hat. There is a lot of software out there that will try and fix the problem but if you're like me and just a newbie all this "rpm" and "emulation" stuff is a bit daunting. It was easier to just buy a cheap external modem.

Also, if some could tell me how to adjust the screen refresh rate under Red Hat I'd greatly appreciate it. Apparently it's done with Xvidtune but Ive found all this does is fit the screen to the size of the monitor.....splat