Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Operating System?

Question Operating System?

I currently run Win98 on an HP 10GB hard drive AMD Athlon K6 3D. . . I want to install a different OS but keep Win98. What other operating system would you guys choose? UNix, Linux, BeOS, etc.
    Thanks your help.

I think that you can install linux but then you have to setup LILO to choose to boot linux or Win98.

If you want another Windows I would recommend going for NT4 or Win2K. Win2K is better because you get more control and features over your system then you do in NT4. But that is just my opinion.
    Hope thats what you were looking for.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Get Windows 2000. I would stay away from Windows XP for a while just because of Microsoft's track record of releasing things before they're ready.
    Just in case you don't know, you don't have to do anything special in the install to keep Windows 98, and unlike Linux, you can install in on the same partition as Windows 98, but after you try it, I think you'll wonder why you even got Windows 98 in the first place.

Would you be referrring to Win2K or Win2k Pro? Not that there is really that big of a difference. . . : )

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

Hey Rogue,

I'd Recommend a multi boot system:

100MB DOS
    3GB Win98
    3GB Win2K (Professional or Server)
    3GB Linux

This is just a rough estimate. This will allow you to:

a) use the DOS partition to recover from any major boo-boos
    b) have windows server to muck about in
    c) have *nix option

Sort of the best of all worlds.

Thats a nice little setup you have proposed. . . thank you MsMittens

Computer Forensics
    www.dragonlinux.net

its a small install that runs out of DOS but, its fully functional, and doesnt require any special partitioning etc...that you will have to deal with when installing other distros. Plus...its based on slackware
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Lightbulb

greate mittens ..that was nice....

i also agree with casper.....

intruder....

_________

knowlege is a tresure , the more u share ....it increases....

hehbris

msmittens

Hi baby I miss you
    how is that a nice setup - it is the most redundant and pointless waste of space ever.
    100 megs for dos? what on earth can you do in dos (recovery wise) that you cannot do in linux or windows? Why on earth would anyone need windows 98 and windows 2000 on one machine? What is the purpose in installing 2 network operating systems on one machine?
    send me a message

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

Actually, 100MB is a bit small. Here's why. When you install an OS like NT or 2000 over CD or network it's slow. I tend to take 5 min to copy it to the harddrive (I use smartdrv to speed up the copying). Then I can install. With NT, this makes the full install about 15 min. Much speedier. And since I often don't have a partition created yet (and since DOS, by default, cannot read NTFS) I put it in the DOS partition to be later deleted.

As for having multiple network OSes, if I'm mucking about in security, trying different tools and such, sometimes 2000 just doesn't do it for me. I might decide to use Win98 for something or DOS in some cases (there is one really nifty tool that I add to DOS that I like).

Lastly, the more OSes you are familar with the more you'll be able to comprehend what happens to your users and your environment. I play around with Linux (Red Hat for intel and Yellow Dog for PowerPC), Unix (Solaris), Novell, DOS, Windows 95/98, NT, 2000 and Mac OS (haven't got OS X yet installed but that will come).

Be knowledgable. Be a sponge. Take it all in.

One last thing: this setup I suggested isnt something I'd use in production. I use this for muck around machines, which is the impression I got from Rogue that he wanted. If it was a production machine, there'd be no DOS partition. Heck, the keyboard, mouse, monitor and floppy would be gone.