Thread: Tiny Firewall, Tiny Speed?

Question Tiny Firewall, Tiny Speed?

--> Just curious, has anyone out there noticed a drop in speed after installing Tiny Personal Firewall?

--> Maybe a fluke, but after replacing ZoneAlarm with Tiny, i now run at a total speed (Rx and Tx) of 4.20 and 4.18, respectively... is this normal operating parameters for the Tiny? Can't find any info from Tiny Software...DSL seems like a 56K.

--> Proactive thanks to any posters.
    Obey All Orders Without Question...The comfort you\'ve demanded is now mandatory. --Jello Biafra

Talking tiny firwall

For more info on tiny software goto www.tinysoftware.com. donot confuse with time the PC manufacturer here in the UK

Why would anyone confuse tiny personal firewall with time computers uk?
    Might be easier to confuse it with tiny computers uk though ;-)

Tiny/Time?

--> Tiny Personal Firewall - Time Computers UK ...the resemblance is striking indeed. Anyway, thanks for the posts, I think. I did actually have that address, seeing as I downloaded the firewall and all, in fact--wait a minute--yes, I think I DID mention that I couldn't get any information FROM them, but yes, thanks again anyway.

-->Strange, speed just went up to normal, and I cannot retract Thread Starter, so give me some feedback, or let the flames begin!

Obey All Orders Without Question...The comfort you\'ve demanded is now mandatory. --Jello Biafra

Red face i meant tiny computers

I meant toi say dont get confused with tiny computers UK!!

Unhappy Re: Tiny Firewall, Tiny Speed?

Originally posted by briareus
    --> Just curious, has anyone out there noticed a drop in speed after installing Tiny Personal Firewall?

--> Maybe a fluke, but after replacing ZoneAlarm with Tiny, i now run at a total speed (Rx and Tx) of 4.20 and 4.18, respectively... is this normal operating parameters for the Tiny? Can't find any info from Tiny Software...DSL seems like a 56K.

--> Proactive thanks to any posters.
    Yes, I did notice this. Web surfing was very slow, not sure if it was misconfigured. When I disable the firewall, it runs at top speed, when I turn it back on it becomes a turtle. I don't know if it's just so "intense" on being a firewall or what, LOL.

Negative pointed me to this firewall:
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/

It looks/fuctions like tiny, but has a few more interesting plugins like DoS attack alerts, etc. The rules are easier to setup (and understand, lol)
    Also, it doesn't bog your computer down when it's running. Everything ran at full speed with this one running on my win2k server box. Maybe I had tiny configured wrong, who knows

Red face

I've been using tiny for as long as I can remember and have NEVER noticed a drop in connection speed. It must be all in ya head!

I was running it on Win2k AS, so maybe I shouldn't have

me again

hey i tried tiny firewall and i was geting some errors all the time when i try to start the firewall just i get some message error so is there any special configuration thatt need to be done for it so it works fine if someone knows please msg me

______ ______ ______ ______

I Am D3stR0y3r

______ ______ ______ ______

running triny on w2k Advanced server

I have run ZA on w2k and Tiny.

The machine is a Dual 800Mhz server and the process for the firewall has affinity set to the second processor (01)

I have notices that tiny requires about 15% more CPU time than ZA, but doen't do odd things like block the occasional port.

If your machine is fast than a 400 i would recommend Tiny, out of the 2.

Best bet is to offload to another system if poss. If you are running on a single system and start doing CPU intensive things (just see what moving a window does in user mode processing under win9x) this will affect the software firewalling product.

Hope that helps