Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Firewall all ****ed up now...

Tiny Firewall all ****ed up now...

Well, I decided to download the 2.0.14 version (or something like that) of the Tiny Personal Firewall, and it seemed to work for a while...

But then I couldn't connect to the 'net with my DSL connection. (didn't try normal dialup) And my proxy software for the home network would NOT recognize my network adapter, and finally, running winipcfg.exe or ipconfig.exe would return an error dialog box saying that my TCP/IP configuration information was corrupted! I didn't find any options or help about this problem with the firewall, and I don't have the installer for the old version!

I might just have to go <bleh-from-what-I-remember> ZA or a reeeally-old version of Conseal I have here somewhere... Or sygate, who knows....

Anyone ever have a similar problem? Uninstalling the firewall software FINALLY made it go away.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Kwiep

Smile

I had the same problem with my home network but winipcfg still worked, if you have some money you cuold get winroute, it's about the same firewall but with some proxy stuff also for dsl connections (i don't have such connection one so i'm not sure)
    Double Dutch

Kwiep
    ok my english is ****ed up so send me as many replyz as you can about my grammar and stuff so i can learn (at school we don't learn this kind off words, only some stupid about asking were the postoffice is and so on)
    Double Dutch

I had a problem connecting to the net........using Tiny and a Netgear 311 with a dsl connection. (It worked for a week)
    I was able to connect after I unplugged the Netgear and reinstalled Winpoet.
    Maybe Tiny doesn't play well with certain software or hardware.

i have problem too with tiny i instal it and all that reboot machine and start it then when i try to turn on firewall i just keep on geting some errors i dont know why but heheh its dumb for sure
    so al stick to ZA

gratez all

______ ______ ______

I Am D3stR0y3r

______ ______ ______

Arrow

Tiny Firewall has some big problems. Suposedly they are trying to fix them for the next release, but some of the less blatent bugs have been around for a while...
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

Check out this thread about TPF 2.0.15 final

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=119211

My preliminary opinions in finding a new firewall:

Zone Alarm:
    Same as it was before, exactly the kind of lack of in-depth control that I dislike, but still okay for the less-knowledgable (or more hurried) user.

Agnitum Outpost
    Confusing layout and interface. I'm just not comfortable with it, because I am never sure where to find the settings I want.

Sygate 4.2
    Didn't work with my internet-connection-sharing proxy either, apparently. More like TPF than some of the others in terms of customizability, but I didn't spend much time with it after I learned that it didn't play well with my network setup.

Well, to update on this...

Checking out Agnitum Outpost, and then ZA, wasn't too complex...

But problems started when I tried to use Sygate. Now, I didn't want to jump to conclusions, I thought my ISP was at fault... because I couldn't ping or get any access through my DSL connection, even after trying nearly every reconfiguration in the book. But after quite a bit of looking, I've fixed it by moving the culprit... which seems to have been files left behind by ZoneAlarm!

To be fair, I didn't do the scheduled restart that they always recommend after uninstalling, so that could be part of it. Anyway, some files with VS*.vxd and VS*.dll were in my c:\windows\ and c:\windows\system\ directory, and the file properties showed that they were ZA files, so I moved them out, and now it seems to work...

I had thought that it was Sygate messing things up. I might go back and try Sygate again, now, seeing that the problems might have been due to the ZA leftovers. At any rate, I just wanted to get this info out in case anyone else seemed to have similar problems.

Anyway, some files with VS*.vxd and VS*.dll were in my c:\windows\ and c:\windows\system\ directory, and the file properties showed that they were ZA files, so I moved them out, and now it seems to work...
    Those files must have been loaded from somewhere, so removing them problably caused a conflict, not a big deal, but if you want your system to start a second or two faster, id suggest searching the registry for the files you deleted.

The installer might have removed the registry entrys after the re-start. I just assume that you tried re-starting your system to get it to work again.

-8trak
    F0 0F C7 C8