Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tiny Firewall all ****ed up now...

Eeshman, that sounds like a good idea - I would use Zone Alarms' uninstaller then reboot. Then, I would go into your \windows\system and \windows directories and be sure to move all of the files that are part of Zone Alarm - Terr says that they all are vs*.vxd or vs*.dll files - you can double check by clicking the properties and seeing if they are registered to Zone Alarm. Then, just for testing, with no firewall running, connect to your ISP and verify that you can resolve web pages. Then install TPF and you can work with it - you just have to be sure to completely get rid of Zone Alarm before you can continue.
    - Maverick

Originally posted by bAgZ
    I am using Tiny now and i didn't have any problems but who knows they might come up later. But while we on this subject i was just wondering having a tiny firewall does it open any high ports on a box. My box is now listening to a port 44334 udp and tcp so i was just curios. I added rules to block any traffic from and two this port. This only appeard after installing Tiny?!?
    I believe those are remote administration ports for tiny. For reasons unknown to me, it actually opens connections when you open the administration locally.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

I finally removed ZA from my PC. I did the easy way...Add/Remove Programs utility. When I did that, I was asked if I wanted to remove some files that were shared, but will be of no use once ZA is removed and I opted to leave them there until I could find out exactly what they did and what program they were registered to. So far, so good. Tiny is performing like a champ and I can connect to my ISP and resolve web pages. All my rules are in place and all ports previously found open (used SuperScan) that were unneeded are now closed off to the rest of the world. Live and learn I guess. Hope this helps anyone.

The Eeshman

Post ZA

Originally posted by Terr
    To be fair, I didn't do the scheduled restart that they always recommend after uninstalling, so that could be part of it. Anyway, some files with VS*.vxd and VS*.dll were in my c:\windows\ and c:\windows\system\ directory, and the file properties showed that they were ZA files, so I moved them out, and now it seems to work...
    The 'VS' files that you are referring to are indeed left by ZoneAlarm...they are parts of the 'VectorSafe' portion of ZoneAlarm. What they do, I'm not sure, but they remain after uninstall, as do your ZoneAlarm settings...I uninstalled ZA after becoming frustrated with it, and reinstalled it (to see if that would make a difference), and it remembered my settings (tied to the Registry), and recognized the old (there was an update of ZA between these times) VectorSafe files, and asked to replace them. All this after multiple shutdown restarts in the time between uninstall and 'fresh' install. It hasn't been a problem since, so I'll stick with it for now.

Hope this helps shed some light...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Unhappy

its gota be the software for sure, i have it on my dialup connection and i get init errors when windoze starts but then i just run it again after it crashes (illegal op error) and then its fine