Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Antipoints

Hmmm

I'm very generous with my anti-points.. I actually give out (mostly) positive points to those who I feel deserve them, and (sometimes) negatives to people who.. well.. I'm sure you know who I'm talking about... I always give reasons for my points.. negative/positive, whatever.. I'll say.. very funny, or.. I'll try that.. or something like that.. and.. the recipient of the points can always click on the post link to see what the anti-pointer is refering to.. But.. generally.. some people.. the kind of people who like to deface web sites, and hack because they are lame.. would rather assign all negative points.. to destroy peoples reputations... I find that to be a legitimate point..

=]:
    ~®¥ÅzÄÑ°FF~

Elen sila lumenn omentielvo..

That is the EXACT problem I was having. Have you had a problem with that too?

Eating_Scarlett
    Originally posted by stflook
    That is the EXACT problem I was having. Have you had a problem with that too?
    You talk too much.

Eating_Scarlett
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, m&ms

My tuppence worth

Personally I don't think people should be too worried about negative AntiPoints. I think peoples' reputations are based more on what they actually say than on what a few people thought of what they said. I'd certainly not judge the value of what someone has to contribute by the snap conclusions people have jumped to after reading their past offerings.

Lord knows I'm not likely to say much on this board that's going to make me popular - but I still like to think that people are going to judge my posts individually by reading them and thinking at least a little about what I have to say. Frankly I think with AntiOnline's reputation in the hacker community and the computer underground, a nice low AntiPoints rating is infinitely preferrable to the e-kick-me sticker that a high one would tag me with.

I'd rather be unpopular than pure lowest common denominator - particularly on this site.

- Freon
    NightKingdoms Progressive
    http://www.nightkingdoms.net/
    \"Circumventing the limitations of technology\"

Re: My tuppence worth

Originally posted by freon
    Personally I don't think people should be too worried about negative AntiPoints. I think peoples' reputations are based more on what they actually say than on what a few people thought of what they said. I'd certainly not judge the value of what someone has to contribute by the snap conclusions people have jumped to after reading their past offerings.

Lord knows I'm not likely to say much on this board that's going to make me popular - but I still like to think that people are going to judge my posts individually by reading them and thinking at least a little about what I have to say. Frankly I think with AntiOnline's reputation in the hacker community and the computer underground, a nice low AntiPoints rating is infinitely preferrable to the e-kick-me sticker that a high one would tag me with.

I'd rather be unpopular than pure lowest common denominator - particularly on this site.

- Freon
    That's true, but since Antipoint ratings are based on how popular you are from your posts. They're also meant to be a measure of how intelligent and mature other people think you are. So it can hurt you if you have a bad Antipoints rating.

Stupid antipoints

I'm not saying antipoints are stupid, I'm saying people give antipoints stupidly. So, I definately agree with you stflook.

How bout this for a comment - they wrote my signature as a comment. Jeez. Good thing their antipoints were so negative that it didn't affect my total.

Another one. I wrote in the thread 'What would you do without a computer'. Basically I wrote "I'd play sports and sail my boat (more)". For this, I get antipoints.

I think you should not be allowed to give out antipoints until you are a full 'member' (as opposed to Junior Member) or have a certain number of posts. That way, you will already have been judged by the more senior members of this community. If you write bad posts, they will give you antipoints, and therefore you will not be able to affect someone elses total.

Sorry about the rant, but I think there needs to be a change in the system.
    - Stronzo

\"Vini, Vici, Vidi\"
    I came, I saw, I conquered.
    - Julius Caesar

Re: Stupid antipoints

Originally posted by Stronzo
    I'm not saying antipoints are stupid, I'm saying people give antipoints stupidly. So, I definately agree with you stflook.

How bout this for a comment - they wrote my signature as a comment. Jeez. Good thing their antipoints were so negative that it didn't affect my total.

Another one. I wrote in the thread 'What would you do without a computer'. Basically I wrote "I'd play sports and sail my boat (more)". For this, I get antipoints.

I think you should not be allowed to give out antipoints until you are a full 'member' (as opposed to Junior Member) or have a certain number of posts. That way, you will already have been judged by the more senior members of this community. If you write bad posts, they will give you antipoints, and therefore you will not be able to affect someone elses total.

Sorry about the rant, but I think there needs to be a change in the system.
    I don't agree with your method, but at least we agree that the system is flawed and needs changing.

Here are a couple of my own horror stories with Antipoints:

I recently posted something as a joke and somebody apparently took it seriously and gave me negative Antipoints. That's fine if he makes a mistake, but look at his comment. "Lame and childish reply, nothing unexpected coming from you I suppose" I just want to know, how is that helping? I find that insulting and unnecessary.

I just got some balance points (but they were obviously intended to be negative) on something I posted a long time ago. It was my original post on the Net-Force guy. His comment was, "Nice signature. Take your own advice." Not only is that not helping, but in my opinion, that's downright Antipoints abuse. I find that one very hurtful. He had no reason that I can think of to give me that other than to be a jackass.

I hope JP acknowledges this thread soon. I don't care if he says "no" , but I at least want acknowledgement. I'm tired of being ignored. This thread has been here for weeks now, and is almost 4 pages long. I don't think I deserve to be ignored like this.

Re: Re: Stupid antipoints

Take it easy stflook! There are many more important things in life worth giving a thot rather than these lame anti-points! Don't let some stupid remarks or antipoints disturb/upset u! u've done u're bit, let the other do their's!

This is just a forum, so just chill!
    Don't sweat the small stuff...............................and its all small stuff! - Richard Carlson

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stflook

I don't agree with your method, but at least we agree that the system is flawed and needs changing.

Here are a couple of my own horror stories with Antipoints:

I recently posted something as a joke and somebody apparently took it seriously and gave me negative Antipoints. That's fine if he makes a mistake, but look at his comment. "Lame and childish reply, nothing unexpected coming from you I suppose" I just want to know, how is that helping? I find that insulting and unnecessary.

I just got some balance points (but they were obviously intended to be negative) on something I posted a long time ago. It was my original post on the Net-Force guy. His comment was, "Nice signature. Take your own advice." Not only is that not helping, but in my opinion, that's downright Antipoints abuse. I find that one very hurtful. He had no reason that I can think of to give me that other than to be a jackass.

I hope JP acknowledges this thread soon. I don't care if he says "no" , but I at least want acknowledgement. I'm tired of being ignored. This thread has been here for weeks now, and is almost 4 pages long. I don't think I deserve to be ignored like this.
    [/QUOTE

Banned
    Greetings All:

The AntiPoints system is a lot more complicated than you people are making it out to be. It keeps track of DOZENS of variables, and considers all of them when a user assigns you points. We keep adding more variables as we see problems, so the system is constantly evolving and getting more intelligent.

The grey "balance" points that you see, are from the system blocking a user's attempt to "unfairly" give you negative, or positive, antipoints. This isn't to say that the post that you got grey "balance" antipoints on doesn't deserve the negative or positive points, it's that the system doesn't think the user deserves to give you the points that they did.

Why don't they "deserve" to give you those points? Well, that could be because of one of dozens of reasons. We'll keep the exact reasons between us and the AntiPoints system

Just trust that I'm actively keeping an eye on the AntiPoints system, and making sure that things on the system get added/removed/changed when they need it. It will only get better as time passes.....