Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hacker Ethics Questions

Question Hacker Ethics Questions

I am a college student conducting a sociological study on hackers and hacking. I mainly concerned about the ethics of a hacker. What it is that you guys believe. Why do you do what you do? Do you feel that it is right? Do you seperate yourselves from crackers, or are they essentially the same term? Feel free to answer this or email me. Rant as much as you want, I'm very interested in hearing what you have to say. Thank you.

I would like to point out this site was established as a security site. A lot of people here are trying to learn about computer security and how to protect themselves from the hackers and crackers. It is unfortunate that some may use this site to gain knowledge on how to do malicous things but as far as I can tell most members do not support people trying to gain this type of knowledge.

Antionline is a community of people trying to help and learn from one another to make the industry better. I fell it is a mistake on your part to stick everyone on this site in a catagory like "evil hacker" when you abviously know nothing about this site or the people using it.

I am sure that people better than me will reply and give you much more thoughtful and intelligent responses to your question but here is my .25 of a cent (live in canada bad exchange rate up here)
    1) the header on the top of the page "hackers know what is in your system should'nt you..implies that this is an educational site teaching and sharing information on how to protect our computers..
    2)just ask a question such as "how do I hack into......" and see the replies you get on this board. That will demonstrate how we are different
    3)I can say it no better than this
    Originally posted by KapperDog
    Not being a senior member here, I may be out of line but I believe most of the seniors will back this post.

First of all, welcome to Antionline.

Antionline is a forum for discussion of technical security issues.

Most of the regular contributors here concentrate on the practice of PREVENTING hackers from entering your system and doing damage, not hacking into others.

If you ask questions like, "How do I hack into my schools computer" or "How do I hack into Hotmail", you will most likely receive a "Negative" response.

If you came here to learn how to hurt other people or to engage in illegal activities, don't expect a lot of help.

If you must be malicious, go here and follow the instructions. Then go here and learn about trojans. You'll be reformatting someones drive by nightfall.

That's it. Unless you are willing to spend a lot of time reading and learning, your hacking abilities are going to end there.

On the other hand, if you are willing to spend some time and put forth an effort to learn, you will find this a very helpful and friendly site.

For starters, here are a couple tutorials:

The Happy Hacker provides some entertaining and easy to understand information.

Here is another nice tutorial called Digital Voodoo

There have been some excellent posts made here by some of the members. If you have a specific question, go here to search the forums. Your question may have already been answered before.

Most of all, enjoy yourself and remember.... hacking is not about hurting other people or destroying someones data. It's about the computer, how it works and why it does the things that it does.

The computer is a miracle of the modern age. A blessing that should be treated as such. A hobby that will never end and can provide you with a lifetime of enjoyment.

Enter the computer with patience and understanding and it will return the same. Enter with evil and deception and you will eventually receive your just reward. If you don't feel this way, I believe you may be at the wrong site.

Anyway, welcome to Antionline and welcome to the world of computers. I hope they are both as rewarding to you as they have been for me.
    I hope that this helps you in your studies a bit. But please allow me to close with this. Am I a hacker...not yet but I am learning. That is I am learning to use my computer to the best of my ability. I am learning to tweik my O/S to it's max. I am learning to get my software to do what I want it to do not what someone else wants it to do. To change programs to suit my purpose. That is my interpretation of hacking. What other people do is malicious and that goes against my beliefs. Other's may have a different idea and that's ok this is just my thought's and they are allowed to be different since i am.
    Mike M aka greyhairedwolf
    ----------------------------------------------
    Eight Words The Wiccan Rede Fulfills
    \"An it harm none do what you will\"
    ----------------------------------------------
    A mind is like a parachute it only works
    WHEN OPEN

Hacker? who's a hacker? what is a hacker?
    I thought this was a security site?
    01010111 01101001 01110010 01100101 01100100

I don't want to get off on a rant here but....

I personally do what I do for the security aspect. Just as an anti-car theft expert has to know how to break into cars, hotwire certain models, and know the faults of other models - so do the network security experts have to know how to break into other peoples systems. Its the only way to protect your system, knowing how to break in.
    Its all about how you use your knowledge. Do you use it to protect your system, break into others (not doing any "harm") to show them their vulnerabilities, or break into other systems just to say "look what I can do mommy!"
    A good deal (but not ALL) of the crackers are nothing more than "script-kiddies" who grab a file off the net, run it, and have no idea the basics behind what they just did. Its like getting an explosives expert to rig a building with explosives then handing the detonator over to a 10 year old and saying "wow, look what you did!"
    I boils down to the same BS that divides normal law abiding citizens and vandals - I can throw a rock through a window, but I choose not to.

Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong. (Dennis Miller)

Hi mom!

Post <space intentionally left blank>

Have you seen this? It's part of AntiOnline's "Hacker Profiling" section. This specific page is called "The Categories of Hackers (Grouped By Motivation)"

http://www.antionline.com/hacker-pro...I/category.php

Here is a post from the past that should help you out.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...=hacker+ethics

Here's one more that might be useful.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...=hacker+ethics

Hope this helps.

Here's a link to a site that defines the hacker culture pretty well.
    http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
    G.G.

Lightbulb

I started my field as a hacker, i had lots of links to the ppl all over the world which were in this field too they used to guide me , how to do this and how to do that e.t.c. , I was very sucessfull in this field till last december i gain control over all the internet cafes in my city 3-4 in other cities, One multinational company of Australia 2 PC in LOndon and atleast 20 users in India. I wasn't felling inner satisfaction , in the mean time i passed a certificate exam of hacking, and i Join this site.

What missing in me was that i don't want to do this (hacking) for breaking laws i just wan't to learn how these ppl break our security , when i joinned this i thought thats what i was looking for and thats what i want to do .

Now what im doing here in my country is that im educating ppl. and awaking what hackers can do and how they do ? By doing this they should be aware how to protect themselves from such problems.

I personally agree with Craisins that Crackers are nothing but "cript kiddies" i should add they are lamerz they don't have knowledge they just work on the tools and utilities provided by the ppl whom i call Hacker.

As i have posted earlier that hacker are ppl. who have strong programming skills they develop software and these cracker use them to break law.

Originally posted by KaKoKoOl
    I started my field as a hacker, i had lots of links to the ppl all over the world which were in this field too they used to guide me , how to do this and how to do that e.t.c. , I was very sucessfull in this field till last december i gain control over all the internet cafes in my city 3-4 in other cities, One multinational company of Australia 2 PC in LOndon and atleast 20 users in India. I wasn't felling inner satisfaction , in the mean time i passed a certificate exam of hacking, and i Join this site.

Wow. Just can't resit the envy of saying "I'm the best über-hacker 'round here". You ünterman.

Now what im doing here in my country is that im educating ppl. and awaking what hackers can do and how they do ? By doing this they should be aware how to protect themselves from such problems.
    Educating people ? Not in spelling I hope. Or maybe this is the new way of writing english ?

I personally agree with Craisins that Crackers are nothing but "cript kiddies" i should add they are lamerz they don't have knowledge they just work on the tools and utilities provided by the ppl whom i call Hacker.
    Talking about "script kiddies", have you written something personal ? Instead of "cut-paste"-ing the whole bunch of tutorials you have ?

As i have posted earlier that hacker are ppl. who have strong programming skills they develop software and these cracker use them to break law.
    If you posted that once, you're twice wrong. Hacker are not especially people with "great programming" skills. They are people who enjoy to learn and want to "push the bar" really really high.

A trivia example is that if you take a safe, a real hacker want to know "how to get stuff in out" without asking for the code. But he won't necesseraly be the one who knows everything at safe design.

But, well, continue calling yourself a hacker. You know who you are, and we start to know you too ...

Jean-Francois