View Poll Results: What do you think of having private forums?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • They're a dumb idea, it's better for everything to be public.

4 19.05%
  • Private forums should be read/write restricted to members only

6 28.57%
  • Private forums should be read-only for non-members

9 42.86%
  • I think they're a good idea, but I would do something very different from what Terr's starter-post describes.

2 9.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bvobnuepawtf.exe ?

bvobnuepawtf.exe ?

cannot find file 'bvobnuepawtf.exe' (or one of it's components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available

Good afternoon group.. Got a little problem hoping you can give me a hand with. Has me stumped, I have done a file ->find search and came up empty
    also did a start->run->regedit then find on it came up empty
    . As always I appreciate your taking the time to view this post and I am grateful to all who post a reply. It shows you care about our computing community.
    Mike M aka greyhairedwolf
    ----------------------------------------------
    Eight Words The Wiccan Rede Fulfills
    \"An it harm none do what you will\"
    A mind is like a parachute it only works
    WHEN OPEN

Question

Of course you're not going to find it if it's giving you that message.
    I have never heard of that file before. Do you have any idea what program it's associated with? Have you noticed any programs acting funny or not running since that started?

I thought the registry was a good place to search since if there was a call for it i could delete it
    WHEN OPEN

Arrow

Very strange file...when exactly does the error box come up? That might help give an idea where it might be called from.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

Originally posted by greyhairedwolf
    I thought the registry was a good place to search since if there was a call for it i could delete it
    You can't delete the registry entry unless you know what program it's asociated with.

It comes up on startup of the computer. I have looked in my startup programs as listed when I do a msconfig. I do not see any programs other than those I am familiar with. I have not seen any programs acting unnormally strange (this system always acts strange like it's owner) I am having some problems with explorer (both windows and ie) but can not find the file associated with them on the microsoft KB,
    anyway the error comes up before the system completes it's startup process. Is this perhaps associated with any known trojan that any of you know of perhaps specifically with TROJ_SUB7.MUIE Since i recently removed that trojan off of the system (not everyone in my house leaves my firewall,Anti-virus and Trojan Cleaner programs running when they serf and have icq going)

thanks friends
    mike
    WHEN OPEN

Arrow

The filename is most likely the trojan file. Your anti-virus probably deleted it, but somewhere (where ever Sub7 hid itself to run every time) it is being called. I suppose if you found on the Internet the different ways Sub7 can hide you might be able to find it, but I know there are like 3-6 different ways it can, so that might take a while.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

I ran a search on about seven different search engines and Microsoft.com and all of them came back and said they found nothing with that name.
    Sorry I tried to help.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

tru, i agree with what ivan had to say, virus. that sucks. if you can remember what you did right before the virus came up, it would be helpful in removing the file. also, if you know you didn't do it, assuming there's other people that use your comp, ask them.

-havanger

regarding your problem...

Hi, Grey... It's possible that the file you were looking for is being called from a "hard coded" location within another app. In this case, you wouldn't find it in the registry and would need to find the offending executable file to resolve the issue. I agree with your suspicion re: the recently removed trojan. Given the possibility of a more effective root kit installation via the trojan, I would probably hose the system and go from scratch or a verified good image. If that's too much trouble, try hunting down the offending .exe via Sub-7 removal facilities or manual searching. Hope this helps. BTW, I see you are seeking MCSE. Are you aware of the Troytech guides for the exams? They won't teach you much and I don't recommend using them exclusively, but they will guarantee you to pass the exams the first time (and, yes, they really do "work")
    \"When you understand yourself and you understand the enemy you cannot be defeated.\" Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings