Thread: Palm

Palm

Hey everyone. Right well i'll get to the point here, I am about to buy a palm and i was wanting some input from everyone. i was wanting to know about worms and viruses for palm. so, i would be greateful if you could shead some light, thanx

-havanger

Arrow

Right now you really don't have to worry about it that much. There are viruses, but they are pretty limited as to what they can do.

If you still are worried, though, I'd stick to the Palm OS rather than WinCE devices - Palm is a little more limited when it comes to making viruses since it doesn't have Visual Basic built right in (easy to use programming language so that also unfortunately means easier to create distructive programs)

In the end, though, no one is really safe and so that is why Anti-virus creators are scrambling to create software for the different PDAs.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

Thumbs up palm

To be even safer, you can actually get a palm that has the linux OS instead of the palm OS. I havent used it but it probably works better when connecting your palm to linux.

Palms are cool, I have a palm professional, I would use it more but havent had time to put anything on it. They are quit bland out of the box.
    Whats a \"START\" button?

I have a Sony Clie running Palm OS 3.5. I have not had any problems with viruses or worms. There is anti-virus software out there that will protect the Palm OS from such threats. You can find out alot from...

www.pdastreet.com

Hope this helps.

With good practices I dont think you need to worry about virii/worms too much.

I am more concerened about it getting stolen and someone hacking the databases.

-Manbik

Question

hmm after all the fuss i still have no idea why even bother with the palm. What can you possibly use it for. I have Nokia 9110 and it probably has most of the features palm has plus the phone. Oh well but thats just me ...

I use mine all the time. It keep my appointments, addresses, notes, and basicly everything. A program called documents to go allows me to read and modify MS Word and Excel documents. It is really cool. The Sony has a built in MP3 player and uses memory sticks. I have an 8 MB and an 128 MB sticks. I can carry tons of crap on it.

Check out the Treo from Handspring. Should be really cool when it comes out.