Thread: Wanted: Invisible Spy

Question Wanted: Invisible Spy

One of my client suspects that his webmaster is doing everything but web-design during working hours. In three months he has produced only 2 very simple pages, but he seems to be busy all day long. Somthing is wrong, but we don't know what.

I know that this might be a pretty stupid question, but is there any tool around that can be installed while he is not around and check him out? He has a laptop and does most of his work from there. The company has a network administrator, but my client does not want to stir things up by asking him. They have a Windows NT network with five users, and they do have InterScan Virus Wall.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Arsinoe

Try an Internet search for "Key Stroke Logger's".

I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but 2 pages in 3 months! Sack him!
    If thats out of the question have a look at these pages:
    http://www.surfcontrol.com/news/arti...1_1999_sm.html
    http://www.globalpatrol.net/?at

Thanking you

Don't worry, no offence taken. Thanks for your reply

Arsinoe

I would put a key logger on his machine, and compare the results to what he turns in for finished work. If he has an internet connection, check the results for IM conversations and e-mails. Also check the history on his browser.
    If most of it's not work-related, out the door with him.

You will probably want to bug the network administrator to do this. You would stand a good chance of getting in trouble for taking the liberty of doing it yourself. If you get the administrator to do it, it's no longer your neck on the chopping block.

Keylogging his machine without his consent? Insane and unethical. That's just wrong. If he was your employee in your workplace using your computer, then I might agree, but bugging his machine without his consent or even talking with his network admin would be plain and simply illegal.

Rather, confront him about the amount of work produced, and ask him if he would like to explain it. If he comes up with something lame-ass, THEN go higher up and explain your concerns, but bugging his machine for these reasons (without clearing it with his network admin) isn't acceptable.

Could you clarify who is employing whom? What is your relationship to this guy? Who is your client? Is your client the boss of the webmaster? Is your client a client of the webmaster?...
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

I agree that keylogging is not on. I didn't say that the network administrator would not be informed. I'm also a minority shareholder in the company and I also work for one of their subsidiaries so I don't have anything against the guy other than that the work agreed is not done. I know his work for his previous workplace (portal development), and that's why I can't understand what's going on. That's the reason why he was employed in the first place. He has been confronted and if needed it we'll do that again.

The laptop does belong to the company and I don't care what he does in his own time on it. I hope this clarifies things.

If he hasn't done the work he was contracted for you can sack him, you don't need more proof, same goes if his work is sub-standard.

Most companies will have a clause in their contracts stipulating that company resources may only be used for "reasonable" personal use.If he's using it for more than that then you can "have words" with him

Most big companies will also put clauses in the contract:
    • stating that anything produced during working hours becomes the intellectual property of the company.
    • stating that it reserves the right to monitor you while you're at work.

If the company doesn't then you can't do anything without asking him first.

The easiest thing to do would always be to talk to the guy...

I am not an expert in contract law however by reading this you agree to be subjected to horrific mental torture.

do you want to know what he do all the day
    just spy him with SNIFFER .So you can see all the tcp and udp packets coming from his computer .

or tell to the administrator to block all his tcp ports and leave only the 80 (www)AND 21 (ftp) so you can make him work

hope this help
    bye
    If God had intended
    Man to program,
    we would be born
    with serial I/O ports.

Hello Arsinoe,

Not only unethical, keylogging is also illegal.

As it was already said, just make him explain on what he did on such a big time. Also, another way of proceding is to give him a deadline on a project and watch him succeed or fail.

I can't figure out why, as a minor shareholder, you're implying yourself in daily management. It is the responsability of the CEO (or whatever name you give this guy) to ensure in front of the shareholders assembly that everything is done to make the business evolving.

But that's administrative works.

Jean-Francois