Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hacking Windows Functionality

Question Hacking Windows Functionality

I'm sick of Windows Millenium, it came with my computer.. (now I have to customize it). I like Linux... not to sure about Unix... I despise Windows.. but it is usually the only OS to offer everything I want to do... I'm a big PC gamer.. so I was wondering if I could alter the code to allow me to play popular games like Baldur's Gate II, or Diablo II.. Can someone give me a rundown on how I can change the functions of some OS's and which would give me the best features and customizing options, whether official, or hacked? Thanks.
    ~®¥ÅzÄÑ°FF~

Elen sila lumenn omentielvo..

As far as I know, there is no way to "alter" Linux to play games that are intended for Windows. You can, however, find ports of popular games for Linux -- check out linuxgames.com or Loki games. The first is a news site, the second is an actual manufacturer.

You could always dual-boot Linux and a version of Windows.

Good luck...

Either run a dual-boot, or try out WINE, (WINE Is Not an Emulator). I know one guy who got Tribes 1 (windows 3d first person shooter game) working on *nix with it. Pretty cool.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Arrow

The big problem is DirectX - WINE tries to convert the DirectX calls to the equivalent Linux video calls. It does an amazing job considering the complexity of some of the games. Go to http://www.winehq.com/ and look at the application database - users all over the place try to get different Windows apps to work and then write on their success. Search for some of the games you want to play.

As far as coding something to get it to work yourself, there isn't much of a chance of that - you had better be up for a challenge because it is some pretty interesting programming. DirectX is closed - that is, Microsoft tells game developers what functions do, but they don't give them the source. WINE and other projects like SAMBA have a difficult job because it is a continuous trial and error process to get things to work exactly as Windows works.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

Smile Thank for the Advice

Thanks for they help, I really would rather not partition my drive to install several OS's.. The Linux applications like "Wine" seem to make up for the loss of gameplay.. Maybe I can finally get rid of Windows and get something worthwhile.. Once again, thanks for the replies.
    ~®¥ÅzÄÑ°FF~

Elen sila lumenn omentielvo..

If you don't want to partition off your drive for a new operating system, try installing Windows 2000. It's far better than the 9x series can ever hope to be. If you do a normal install with another operating system already on, it will set up for a dual-boot automatically. This way, you have a good, stable, and secure operating system for general use, and you will only have to put up with Windows ME for games.

By the way, some of those games probably work with Windows 2000.

I am interested in the dual-boot system. I also spend time playing games. I have partitioned my H/D so I have 15Gig empty (should be good )

remember not to enable large disk support.....that'll knock your Win partition down to 2GB......i run Win98 dualboot with RH 7.1.......nice......win is the default......get a splash screen to choose......that way.....i can play starcraft and thief....while brushing up on *nix.....

one question.....i have a winmodem......that's software......need a hardware.......33.6 or 56k compat with linux?

Partitioning one drive for multiple OS's kinda sucks... because then your stuck with those proportions...

There's no reason to not enable large drive support, you can select what size partition you want.

I installed Linux on a seperate drive, and use LILO to choose,
    it works exactly the same, but if you have more then 1 drive, its a way better alternative... that way, if my windows drive crashes, ill still have linux, and vice versa. It also means that you can take out your windows drive if you want to use it in another computer.

i have a winmodem......that's software......need a hardware.......33.6 or 56k compat with linux?
    You cant set up any winmodem for linux.
    You need a real modem.

You can us pnp isa or pci stuff, but its way more of a pain.

I'd suggest finding yourself a nice isa 56k modem with all kinds of jumpers on it...

That's where im at right now... so many modems... and they all suck...

I finally found a pnp isa modem that was a real modem,
    and then i found out that isapnp doesnt work with pct388 chipsets.... that the only chipset that's in the man pages to not work... and low and behold... what's my chipset... a pct388...

One of my other modems that should work has closed source... yeah... big top-secret modem drivers...

goddamn...
    I hate crappy modems...

-8trak
    F0 0F C7 C8

If you partition a hard drive it is not stuck like that permently. All you have to do is boot up to a Windows boot disk and type "fdisk". Tell it to delete all partitions and create one or more partitions. Then restart and then format and you have it changed. And now you can install whatever you like.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]