Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novell Netware + mIRC

Smile Novell Netware + mIRC

Ok heres the deal...

We are running a Novell Netware Network. We use an Internet filter called "Bess". Is there anyway users can be blocked from using mIRC?... ...Or any other IRC client?

I would hate this to hap, seeing how I am a mIRC user. Im just wondering if this can be done.

The Internet filter already blocks *most* sites where mIRC can be downloaded. I found some of course! My fav is, www.ftp.com. Just type in mIRC and go to the 2nd page. There is a zip file of mIRC. It is an older one but, HEY! Its mIRC!

Thanks!,

Yes, it can be blocked.

If each person got his/her own workstation, with an IP that won't change, just block that list of IP.

There are also firewall that will let you connect on a per-user basis, like checkpoint. Just choose "user auth". When trying to connect, a special window (an application must be installed on each client) will pop prompting for username/password.

Jean-Francois

Arrow

I looked into this "Bess", but it looks like it is only web-filtering software, so you couldn't set it up to block IRC. You would have to get a comprehensive firewall like Watchguard's firebox http://www.watchguard.com to do any kind of advanced filtering like that.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Question

If you're running Novell, why not run BorderManager, the firewall that Novell designed? That would be far better than a simple web filter like Bess.

You could use a combination of both Bess (to take care of unwanted sites) and BM to take care of unwanted visitors and eliminate unwanted services from being run like irc, icq, etc. If they are smart they will be able to bypass by "piggy-backing" the connection on port 80 but only a few people will usually clue into that.

Hope this helps.

Smile Thank You.

Thanks everyone. All very helpful.

Let me be honest here. I have no clue what BorderManager is. I have seen many people here talk of it. Can I access it from any computer or do I have to be at the server? OR, would it have had to of been set up when setting up the NetWork? Can only an admin set this up?

As you can see I have NO idea what this is. None what`so`ever. I would love to look into this and learn a bit about it.

Thanks,

i think dislex is at school and wants to access mirc, and he wants us to tell him.

-havanger

Hahahahahahaha*cough*hahaha

Oh thats funny.

I am at school yes! But wait! I am not *IN* school. I guess I should say I am at a school.

I am a computer tech for the school district. I am at *all* the schools.

I use mIRC, yes. It is not blocked. I was wanting to know if it *could* be blocked and how.

Im sorry to let ya down havanger.

More of Me,

Your not such a great technician, if you work on Novell and don't know its supporting products. Like Boarder Manager and Groupwise. Go back to CIS100.

Hahaha,

And no BESS won't block your Mirc, but if you really were the tech, wouldn't they give you a bypass could for BESS like I used to have...or maybe you'd just take the proxy off your web browser. Or install Opera and not worry at all... For some reason, I doubt your a tech, and if you are, a very shitty one at that.
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

Thumbs down °Rude°

You have no idea if I am a "great" technician or not. Just because I don't know something about some things does not mean I don't know anything at all.

I really am a Computer Technician for the ECISD. I never said I was the smartest person on earth, nor did I say I was extremely leet. I'm learning all I can. I am reading, trying, and of course asking questions.

I am not the network admin so no; I have no idea about many of its features. I don't know what all it can or cannot do. That's what I asked.

As far as Bess goes, not even the admen's have the password/s to move around it. The server running it is not even in the same town as us.

I guess my whole point is, Stop being so rude. There is no need for it. I'm here to learn and just because you may know something I don't does not make you smarter or any better.

Thanks,

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

Dislex,

Take a gander here: http://developer.novell.com/nss/nss_...lutionKey=3651

Select BorderManager. It's a good product. I would humbly suggest getting to know Novell better. Btw, what version of Novell is it? If it's anything less than 4.2, you might have some serious security issues with it. If its 5 or higher you might be ok, although there is one serious abending issue with 5 and BM3.5 so send me a priv msg and I will point you to that.

As for "great technicians" etc., if I may put in my two cents worth. I tell this to my students and firmly believe it: You don't have to know everything, you just have to know where to find the answers. (aka Be resourceful, use the Internet). Ask here was the first step.

Hope this helps.