Thread: Newbie Question: Best OS?

Newbie Question: Best OS?

as a newbie to most of this, but learning fast, what OS do you all suggest I install? please include reasons for all responses. Much appreciated!
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

That depends on what you're going to do with it. If it's just general user-type use, or if you're a gamer, Windows 98 is probably the way to go (Windows ME is TERRIBLE). If you're a big power user, or your computer sits on a network, you will want to use Windows 2000 (Windows NT if it's a relatively old computer). If you're running a web server of some sort, I would recommend Linux Red Hat, but you could get away with Windows 2000 if you don't know Linux. If you're bent on having the "latest and greatest", and trust Microsoft enough (I hope not), you can install Windows XP, but I would hold off on that one for about 6 months so they can fix all the bugs they're bound to find.

I use Windows XP hand don´t have any problems with it and it is a beta version also so the one you can get you hands over will be a retail and that will even better......!

I suggest that if you are a gamer and need a good OS i will go for XP......!

Win9x or 2k is oki but XP is better you will have a NT system and can play all games with it......!

Use Win2k drivers with XP.....!

I ran Windows XP beta 2 and RC1, and I DID have problems. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to communicate with my NT workgroup. The RC1 version died on me TOTALLY when I was in the middle of my homework. It spontaneously rebooted, and that was the end of it. I had to do a hack-up install of 2000 (which I fixed later) to finish my homework, and I have been the same ever since. Also, I will admit that it does seem to make the user's job easier, but it makes the administrator's job a living HELL. Nothing seems to be in the same place it was before. brickwall

Question Linux OSs?

All right, now how 'bout the best Linux distro for a beginner? Again, thanks!
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Mandrake is supposed to be the easiest, but I started on Red Hat 7. I've tried them both, and I have to say that Mandrake is a LOT easier than Red Hat. I haven't tried the others, though. I really should.....