Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little Humour

Smile Overkill?

I recently stumbled across this quite by accident.......

Australian ISP bigpond.com Has a "security" feature that disables an email account for 3-4 hours after 3 unsuccesful attempts at gainning entry.

You would think that this would be more of a hinderence rather than a helpful feature. It's quite easy to see how something like this could be abused. It would be quite simple to prevent someone from accessing their email account if you were the type of person to do such things.......Anyway, food for thought.....

Question ¿¡Que!?

Um.. What? What did you find amusing? Did I miss something? Did you forget a link? Hmm. Im scared.

yes, what was it? is it the "- Assign Positive or Negative AntiPoints To This Post" at the bottom of your message? joking!
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

i am NOT a hacker :Þ

Oh, I get it, you think it's funny because there IS no link.......you're playing a joke!

P.S. Don't mind me. I just felt like saying that.

I apologise, all...I was going to attach something I found rather amusing but then decided it might not be a good idea so I had to edit my post.....

Unhappy Edit

Ok now you have edited your first post. Now it makes much more sense BUT now we (stflook, jetherson, and I) don’t make sense.

Me,

hehe. anyway, you're right Conf1rm3d_K1ll about the "security" feature. that would really be a real bummer for old folks and some very computer illiterate peeps put there. they should not think that all the people that makes that kind of mistakes are hackers. most are just forgetful ones and pc-illiterate ones. not very user-friendly, bigpond.com.
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

i am NOT a hacker :Þ

Re: Overkill?

Originally posted by Conf1rm3d_K1ll
    I recently stumbled across this quite by accident.......

Australian ISP bigpond.com Has a "security" feature that disables an email account for 3-4 hours after 3 unsuccesful attempts at gainning entry.
    That's sort of like intruder lockout on Novell Netware systems. If you're really pissed at someone, you don't have to even get into their account, you can just lock them out... All you have to know is their login name. In my old school, everyone had six-digit numeric login numbers, so it was more complex... Except *I* had the master spreadsheet of number-to-name conversions , Finding that in the beginning of the year was a real godsend, because it also listed contact information, address, etc, and was a lot more useful than the paperback school directory... but I'm rambling now.

It would be much more effective if they could disable the account based on caller-ID. I mean, people with caller-id blocked would be out of luck unless they dialed in somewhere else, but any malicious intruders would have to use the victim's phone.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Note: Bigpond = Telstra
    telstra = Corprate bastards
    Corprate Bastards = Microsoft
    Microsoft = Absolute Evil

I have much hatred for Telstra it's not funny
    When ever you sudenly get re roughted to antartica for a local site. You know telstra is behind it.

When ever your ISP drops for No apparent reason.
    You know telstra is behind it.

When ever Big ugly guys come and kick your cat and blow up your mail box.
    You know telstra is behind it.....

Well I had my say 8þ
    01010111 01101001 01110010 01100101 01100100

Banned
    Originally posted by ByteMe
    Note: Bigpond = Telstra
    telstra = Corprate bastards
    Corprate Bastards = Microsoft
    Microsoft = Absolute Evil

Can you explain why you hate microsoft, who are full of security ****-ups etc.
    Wait I ansered my own question.

If you are running Windows I suggest you find a patch for it here

www.linux.ie