Thread: Computer Upgrade

Computer Upgrade

Heyt all, im trying to upgrade my computer, and i cant decide which is the best motherboard/processor combo to get. Were not talkin server box with dual processers or anything, just your standard PC. So far, i've basicly decided on a new AMD athlon XP 1800 at 1.53ghz, which out runs the P4 2 ghz in every bench mark i've ever seen. But i cont decide which motherboard to get. Anyone got any resonable suggestions, like brand and online store to buy it at, cause we all know best buy aint gonna cut it. Thanks all.

Smile

I wanted a board which supported DDR memory so I went for the Abit KG7Raid board. I can highly recommend this board especially as it supports up to 4gb RAM.
    I'm currently running it with an AMD 1.4Ghz athalon,1Gb DDR memory, a 32Mb ATI Radeon DDR video card, a Plextor CD-RW, a Pioneer region free DVD drive, a Soundplaster Live 5.1, an IBM 75Gb UDMA HD and Windows XP. The Machine is quick to say the least.
    Read a full review of what it can do at this site.

Re: Computer Upgrade

Today, I saved an old RS/6000 from being crushed. This kinda stuff is running AIX 4.1 (a proprietary Unix from IBM).

Sounds it was a great machine a few years ago.

Jean-Francois

I look after an RS/6000 in work, i've hardly had any bother with it and smitty is an excellent administrative tool - its more than a great machine a few years ago - in the right hands its a great machine today :-)

I bought my friend an ABIT KT7A. Its a great board by my standards. You can control just about anything (core voltage, FSB, ect.) and has two temperature points (under the cpu and next to the PCI slots). It runs on a VIA chipset and is really great for overclocking.
    1 AGPx4
    4 PCI
    1 PCI/ISA
    SDRAM
    Bla, bla bla bla.
    You get the idea.

spacewalker shuttle motherboard.....1.33 AMD thunderbird......no ISA tho......3d prophet 4500.....40G hdd.......i'm happy....

that's the newest one......my latest project....

bought the board and the processor....for 139....at Fry's....(best buy's rival)

Originally posted by xraystan
    I wanted a board which supported DDR memory so I went for the Abit KG7Raid board. I can highly recommend this board especially as it supports up to 4gb RAM.
    I'm currently running it with an AMD 1.4Ghz athalon,1Gb DDR memory, a 32Mb ATI Radeon DDR video card, a Plextor CD-RW, a Pioneer region free DVD drive, a Soundplaster Live 5.1, an IBM 75Gb UDMA HD and Windows XP. The Machine is quick to say the least.
    Read a full review of what it can do at this site.
    I can't say as I disagree with this. I almost upgraded my machine to a MSI K7T266 Pro motherboard with a 1.3GHz Thunderbird processor and 512 meg of PC2100 DDR RAM over the summer. I decided not to at the last minute. Now I'm stuck with the same PIII 667 I built last year. Slow piece of crap.......
    bawling