Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Future Military Systems

T3h Ch3F

Future Military Systems

According to several sources, including Janes, Department of Defence, and even PC Gamer magazine, a Silicon Valley based company, Pacific Consultants, is currently developing a new hardware platform for the United States Military. Named "Land Warrior", as it is known is currently being based on an Intel P3, Running a Special Version of Windows 2000 (Ugh). Each soldier will wear this , and it will virtually control it's bearers fate. I am intrigued to know exactly how they will maintain a secure connection, from the "Mainframe", to the troops wearing it. This has to be under consideration. Why did they choose Win2k?

For Further info (A press release from Pacific Consultants) Read the link.

www.pacificconsultants.com/press/rshowcase.html

P:

Remembers when they tried NT on a warship
    I\'m not a BOT I\'m a beer droid!
    Prepare to be Assimilated.

i heard about this a year ago. if my memory serves me correct they were once developed by nekomedia. i used to do some r&d stuffs for those companies. once they asked for some weird stuffs like "flash for an interface with coldfusion as the brain and an excel worksheet for a database". i did it yes, but i was wondering why did they ever want something like that.
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

i am NOT a hacker :Þ

hey, cf turned into ice in my last post. hehe.

obi, am i being gullible or what? can i know where did you get that info? sounds fun!
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

i am NOT a hacker :Þ

Originally posted by obi
    Remembers when they tried NT on a warship
    They had not to worry too much. Nt crashes, it doesn't sink.

Jean-Francois

Banned

Talking Re: Future Military Systems

Originally posted by Galdron
    , and it will virtually control it's bearers fate.
    what does that mean does this mean no more war its all computer games??

Re: Future Military Systems

Originally posted by Galdron
    - - "Land Warrior", as it is known is currently being based on an Intel P3, Running a Special Version of Windows 2000 (Ugh). - - I am intrigued to know exactly how they will maintain a secure connection, from the "Mainframe", to the troops wearing it. This has to be under consideration. Why did they choose Win2k?
    Oh man, I can't believe they are actually using Windows! Sounds like a suicide to me... The article you linked to didn't say anything about it, but at least TechTV confirms it... Some old articles say LW's are using an OS called Lynx.
    And using a Pentium... AMD's are much faster and better in floating point operations and they are much cheaper than Pentiums...
    For more information about Land Warriors, you might want to check this little Google search.
    To your question about security... Maybe they are using VPN connections..
    And why did they choose a Microsoft product? KissMyFloppy has got an answer...

-ZeroOne
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

Hi i have maybe some info u like everything is hackeble and win2K is the securest windows around i think but it has 1 problem there is a NSA exploit/backdoor i think that's why they toke 2K i see it before mee a amerikan soldier that is going mad in such expensive gear or a spy or infaltrant or something so i think it must have somekind of backdoor i think this sucks quite a bit you got a dillema you can make it hacker proof but then you have 2 worry about those psycho spy's but if they don''t make it hacker proof no psycho spy's but then they'v got psycho hackers i say they must shutt the project down

greets
    adon
    hip hop rules

Originally posted by darkadon
    Hi i have maybe some info u like everything is hackeble and win2K is the securest windows around i think but it has 1 problem there is a NSA exploit/backdoor - -
    Uh... I think you could cut your word flow in sentences... But I think that NSA backdoor is/was just an urban legend.. There was a file named something nsa something which then actually had nothing to do with NSA. I would be more horrified of the Win XP registeration thing...

-ZeroOne
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

Nothing is secure

Someone will be able to find a way to hack into it, for security is just an illusion.The government is not invincible and nether the troops.

Just think of the things that someone could do by hacking into it, they could change everything, targets, locations, hell it would be basically having an army to control and how many people would want that.

Well I don't think that the time has come to use such advanced technology for warfare.Since the government has never been secure in the first place.Maybe they should re think the idea of having it, or at least rething win 2000.