Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Future Military Systems

8*B@LL
    your correct that I don't have much experience with the US Govt, I said that myself... my point was that I really don't think that the Goverment would want to needlessly endanger the lives of its soldiers with a shonky OS..

Call me crazy (nearly every body else does), but it might take a lot of time for them to develop, but with the amount of public attention that could be drawn to this project and the possibly huge amount of backlash that could follow if it goes badly, I think that the US Government would try and do a good job here....

I certainly wouldn't entrust the lives of any one under my care on a publicly available operating system which is constantly under critisism for the number of security holes it has and is only rated as C2 by the DOD Orange Book
    (Windows NT4 was actually rated C2.. I don't know what 2K would be rated as, but its most likely still C2....)

And I agree with Linux train of thought... just that they should develop it to their custom needs, stripping off any unneccessary risks to the systems....

Co-incidently, what do the pentagon systems run on??

Originally posted by Matty Cross
    Co-incidently, what do the pentagon systems run on??
    unfortunatly, i cant really say for sure, all i can say is that they dont even try to hide the fact that MANY nations are quite sucessfull in hacking into the pentigon as well as many of our other military systems. fortuantly the ones that have the best sucess are countries like Israel(if im not mistaken, they are the most sucessfull), and other allies.

its still scary.
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

put it this way... world runs on money right? so it must be better to use microsoft for some reason. And im sure they are aware of the problems with security. But then again how can they aford all that gear for 1 soldier?.. not to mention say one of them gets killed, and like a crazy ass bad guy gets a hold of the equipment.. i mean they would be like sniffing on a hub wouldnt they see where all the opponen't men are? etc ?

oh well perhaps i think too much
    Don\'t blame the hardware, dont blame the OS, chances are its your fault

Where do you want to go today?

I think some general important-type army guys have been watching to many B-grade future war movies.

And a microsoft operating system? Heh heh, now I just can't wait to see "This application has performed an illegal operation and must be shut down. If this problem persists, please contact your software vendor" appearing in the futuristic eyepiece of the soldiers of the future.

Im of the opinion that the American armed services need to invest some of their bazillions of dollars in some actual human intelligence, rather than spending a fortune on whatever the latest technology is to come out of Silicone Valley. Future soldiers with eye pieces, pah.

Originally posted by Half^A^Biscuit
    But then again how can they aford all that gear for 1 soldier?.. not to mention say one of them gets killed, and like a crazy ass bad guy gets a hold of the equipment.. i mean they would be like sniffing on a hub wouldnt they see where all the opponen't men are? etc ?

oh well perhaps i think too much
    Heck, that's perhaps even worse than the scenario I thought... I thought they (the bad dudes) could hack into the system and by that way see all the locations, messages etc. of the soldiers, but your vision might be more possible.
    But, I thought even more (so don't blame yourself of thinking too much - thinking is always allowed here ). I think "This application has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" would change into "This application has performed an illegal operation and the soldier wearing it will be blown up"... Not sure if I should put a but because that's one solution to the "enemy-can-get-our-equipments" problem I prefer not to...

-ZeroOne
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

T3h Ch3F

Talking Just A Thanks!!

Just A Note of Thanks to all who have posted on my thread, all your theories are interesting, and I enjoy the variety of ideas, I am currently researching other topics and will try to post more soon.

P: