Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My job

What kind of restriction do you want to put up on the network? Maybe you can, but you have to ask.
    If you want a good web filter, try Surfcontrol, and lock it down tight. I think you can be held responsible if somebody accesses illegal materials, so take no chances. But the safest thing to do would be to not allow internet access. They do not need that to test the computer.

If you want to make some computers "higher-level" then others in the network, then a coll way to do it is with subnet masks.

If the Ip address of all the stupid demo computers is going to be
    192.168.1.xxx
    then make the subnet mask
    and then for the computers that arent open to the public, you can
    put them in the 192.168.2.xxx range, and set their mask to

That way the computers in the 192.168.2.xxx range will be able to contact the 192.168.1.xx computers, but not vice-versa.
    just make sure that the server is in the 192.168.1.xxx range,
    and that it's subnet mask is somthing like 255.255.0.0

This is a pretty strange way of doing it, and i just came up with it now, but it would work just fine.

That way the demo people would be able to screw each other up, and mabey the server if its not secure,

but they wouldnt be able to mess with the 192.168.1.2 computers.

-8trak
    F0 0F C7 C8

That is...
    Assuming your using an TCP/IP network...
    hahaha...

-8trak
    F0 0F C7 C8

Or you could just turn off all file access to the business PCs' drives from the the users logged on at the test PCs. That's the conventional way to do it. I'll have to test that subnet mask thing, though.