Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: learning languages..

Question learning languages..

What is a good language to learn on? Also, where are some good places to get the software and/or tutorials for it?(If necessary). I took a class on VBasic, so I'm not entirely new, but my current school doesn't have any courses other than computer basics and HTML.
    Thank you for your help.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Go here and see what everybody recommends
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=121420
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

thanks, but..

thanks, but that's the thread that made me think of this, and it isn't quite what I'm looking for.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Perl is a good one to start on, that's what i'm teaching myself right now. It's simple, but still powerful, and its free.

I believe that Python is a good language to learn it's well documented relatively easy to learn and there are quite a few great tutorials out on the internet.
    G.G.

Re: learning languages..

C++ is a VERY handy language to know but it's hard to start with. It has the most versatility compared to most languages I have seen. I mean, you can even write your own Delete method to increase speed and decrease memory requirements!

Java is on the same lines as C++ but not quite as fast and almost as annoying. Basically Java is a memory sloth (automatic garbage collection makes life easy for you but hard for your processor). It is on the other hand easy to debug and find out what is wrong in your code. It also handles errors quite nicely if you are expecting them to happen.

VB is pretty lame from my experiences - pain in the ass more like it. But it is handy for point and click programmers and if you're doing asp.

Don't know perl or python.

A good place to learn different languages is by browsing your local universities computer science department home page and look at low level programming courses. By the end of the term they will have a bunch of examples of programs, lecture notes, etc for you to learn from all for 'free' (who needs to pay tuition anyways?)!

If you wanna check out my uni's site go to University of Victoria . Go to the courses page and check out csc110 and 115 for java help. 230 for assembler and SENG 265 for some unix command line coding in C.
    - Stronzo

\"Vini, Vici, Vidi\"
    I came, I saw, I conquered.
    - Julius Caesar

A good starting language to learn is Turbo Pascal.
    It may be old, but is quite simple and easy to learn.

I found that the greatest advantage of it was that once you had a good grasp of it, moving to other Object Oriented Programming languages was quite easy.

ive been learning c++. i like it alot, it really hasnt been that hard and it is my first REAL language(i dont count the language for TI-86's or the little basic i learned when i was really young). i started teaching myself VB, but i kinda stoped...i like c++ much more.
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

Wink Re: learning languages..

Originally posted by Kezil
    What is a good language to learn on? Also, where are some good places to get the software and/or tutorials for it?(If necessary). I took a class on VBasic, so I'm not entirely new, but my current school doesn't have any courses other than computer basics and HTML.
    Thank you for your help.

according to me C and C++ with some knowledge of Assembly will totally make a very good combination
    if u want some really great tutorials then check out this :-

1) www.programmersheaven.com
    2) www.codecranker.com
    3)www.codepile.com
    4)www.cprogramming.com
    5)www.programmerszone.com
    6)www.vcworld.f2s.com

hope this will help u...

intruder....

Banned
    Its gotta be C/C++, youll find if you end up running Linux lets say that C is a very handy langauge to know.