Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: learning languages..

my two sense

ummm....old school fortran just for shits and giggles...basic...then ya can graduate to Visual Basic...ummm...C++...C#...JAVA...Pascal...and if ya wanna go bald at an early age...try your hand at Assembly...and please remember that those were not listed in a particular order...have fun learning...I think I'll just stick with learning to do networking...i suck at math anyways

If you've done VB then i suggest that you try Delphi, java or C++. At the moment i dont think that i'd start doing assembly but the above arn't too difficult to learn and should take you quite a long way. If you're planning on programming for a living i recommend C++ as pretty much everyone states that you have to hav a few years commercial C++ experience

TCL

It's almost as powerful as perl and it is easier to learn/use. When you get a good grasp on it, you can also do TK for graphics environments.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

Lightbulb C

All right, I've seen some stuff on C, and I think it should be easy enough to learn.
    I've also seen that it needs a compiler to use the code, so where can I find one to use? any other links having to do with C would also be appreciated. Thanks again.

(edited "assembler" to "compiler")
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Kezil, what operating system are you running?

Here's a GNU C/C++ compiler that will run on DOS:

http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/

hehbris
    Learning one language as opposed to another for whatever reason will not make you a better programmer. Most object orientated languages and structured languages are identical logically. Some happen to have more libraries than others allowing things to happen quicker. I suggest, if you are serious to first learn to make a flow chart and be able to write 'proper' pseudo code. After that, learning a language is as simple as learning its syntax. If you are ready to learn a language now, it is always good to start with C as it is the foundation of many other languages and is very powerful - if C seems too archaic for you and you seek something that utilizes 'modern' programming methods, you might like java. There is a very large java community on http://java.sun.com with massive amounts of API documentation and tutorials as well as forums for asking the most basic questions without getting a flame in return. At work I am using mainly JAVA, when I need a fast 'low level' routine I write a linked library in C++ and use the java native interface to call upon it and I use PERL for various system administrating tasks on the sun e-servers. All languages have their use and are in general simple to learn -> stick with logic and you shant have a problem.

Yes, DJGPP is an EXCELLENT compiler. You can also download Borland's compiler for free (though you won't get a pretty IDE). Or you can spend some money and purchase Visual C++ if you've got plenty of RAM and a Gig or too free on your Hard Drive. If you aren't too timid about partitioning your drive, you could install Linux and use the GNU compiler that comes with it. Yes, we are recommending C++ compilers, but they will compile C as well. These compilers also have an assembler "built in" You don't have to know assembler to use the compilers. The compilers will call the assembler and linker for you. They HAVE to have access to an assembler and linker to create an executable. Hope this helps.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

os

(in reference to xstonedogx's post)
    ah, yes, I forgot that. I'm running WindowsME (came with the sys) and I should get redhat soon.

Tcl/TK

I see gaxprels, suggested tcl already. And I will back them up on that.

It has a low learning curve, extensible, and multi-platform. Pretty easy to make graphical applications. And even though you hardly hear about it. It has an amazing amount of documentation and support for it. You can get tcl/tk from sourceforge

Question additional ?

all right, what exactly are pseudo-code and flow charts? Thanks yet again.