Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vpn

vpn

I am going to get my tele back and want to dial in to the college here...my work-study is tech-support and my admin has set everythin up on the college side to allow me to do so...i have set everything up and ready to dial in...the problem is that the college is infested with virii and attacked constantly with DDos attacks...how can I set up my puter to avoid getting the same problems? As you guys know....i have ZoneAlarm...WinRoute...I am going to install Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition...i think I should be pretty safe...but am really paranoid...Id like to get another box and setup slak on it as a firewall for my windoze machine...but at the moment is beyond my assetts...now i am just rambling...but whatever...would like some insight on people who have experienced what I am about to (VPN with a college server) and what probs or not that has been experienced. Thanks much

Well, I know you can install Tiny on top of Zonealarm and it will work. It won't do you a whole lot of good, but you should at least feel safer. You can supposedly install BlackICE on top of the other firewalls as well. Once again, all you really gain is a feeling of security and more used system resources. If I had to choose between one of the three, I think I would choose Tiny, but Zonealarm isn't far behind. Norton should be fine to keep you free of viruses.

Question Hmm...

How do you turn an old comp into a firewall?
    ~®¥ÅzÄÑ°FF~

Elen sila lumenn omentielvo..

Use smoothwall - http://www.smoothwall.org

I use and like LRP. It's free and can run on an old 486 that you can pick up very cheap. You can find it at www.linuxrouter.org
    BadJokes

All I want is a warm bed, and a kind word, and unlimited power.

well...

to turn an old comp into a firewall...as far as i can gather...put linux on an old 486...a basic install of debian should work fine...get a program that will allow windows to talk with linux...set linux's ports all off...except for http...ftp...whatever other daemons you wanna keep running and just route windows through linux and make linux the gateway...i don't know the exact specs and/or where the location of everything is...but maybe some of the linux guruz here could explain this a little further in detail...i am leaving a lot out and am not a good teacher...but this should be enough information to get the real geeks here to understand what I am talking about and help me...

pete

thankx for url...when i get an extra puter...i'll definately give it a try...smoothwall seems interesting...hopefully ill have the chance to monkey around with it...and by the way if anyone around here has an old 486 that they don't want or need anymore...and would hate to see it just go to waste...i would be willing to purchase it for $300...i don't have much money...and actually dont have even that...but ill try to save and if ya are thinkin' about giving a donation of a puter...i wouldnt argue...maybe your business and/or school has an old one laying around...i really need something to run other than my ol ladys puter...i know I could look around where I live but my college is under budgeted and my idea of having someone order me a nice dell and writing it off as part of remote networking (hehe) wont work...

tripstone

well, there really isn't just one cure for the common code (yes, i meant code and not cold). so what i'm suggesting, and it might be expensive and time comsuming (these should never be factors for deciding to keep your comp safe), but just backup ALL of your hdd onto another one.

-havanger

what in the hell is that box doing in my last post? it's supposed to say cold, so help me if it does it again!

-havanger

alright this is getting homosexual now. the gay box is supposed be be C-O-L-D. sorry i had to spell it that way, the box would have come up again.